Slomo vid of .50 being lit off loose

The hose clamp was screwed down. Its motion gives that away.
That's also why the chunk of bark/wood blew out.

The case wasn't meant to leave the stump.

The brass blew apart because the round that hit the primer, went through the brass/primer/flash hole and hit the back of the .50 projo.

You can almost follow it as the round detonates in slo-mo. Very cool vid, some of the others that are there are good also.

When I was pretty young, (preteen I think) we use to set up shotgun shells in a similar manner.

We had scoped air rifles and we’d shoot the primers with bb’s from 30-40yds. Was great fun and no one was injured doing it. I got to be a pretty good shot that way.

Police came by one day and kinda chuckled when they saw what we were doing and left us with a “be careful”.

Police came by one day and kinda chuckled when they saw what we were doing and left us with a “be careful”.

A different time, a different place. We certainly can NOT say it was a better time and place because that would be making a comparison judgment so let's just say IT WAS A BETTER TIME AND PLACE and keep that thought amongst ourselves.

P.S. I know there were problems in society back then and I certainly do NOT want to roll back all the progress we have made since then I just wish that what we had back then as "common sense" would be "common sense" today too.

I did the same with .22 LR. Let me tell you though, the whole “equal and opposite reaction principle” can be pretty painful. The projectile weighs more than the casing so the casing came flying back pretty fast. It nailed me in the shin and left a nasty bruise and broke the skin.

I would not want to be near that .50 BMG when it detonated. Those brass shards were probably traveling pretty darn quickly.

Back