Slip slidin' away..

WhatRecoil

Everybody has an opinion on lubes for kinds of tools, but your firearms can be a bit harder to figure out. I generally use EEZOX for general cleanup and everyday carry unless something just gets flat nasty at the range.

BUT...I have noticed some lube problems with it in 20 years of experience.

You never want to over lube a Glock so I used to use SLICK 50 OneGrease. It stays put, won't freeze, and it stays SLICK. I found a 15 year old can, it seems to still work but shows signs of oxidation. Considering what that can has been through I'm not dissatisfied.

Glocks are plastic. The wiz-bang all in ones usually have a negative effect on any plastic, and trust me that includes EEZOX, BALLISTOL, and BREAKFREE CLP. over a period of time, so the less the better

What GREASE do you use that meets the above criteria?? And what about copper based high temp grease, isn't that the "original" Glock factory COPPER COAT....thanks in advance

I use a lot of ATF (auto transmission fluid) for lubing.
It's a very high grade lubricant that seems to protect as well, without any harm.
And it doesn't seem to evaporate over time like gun oils.
Cheap, too.
For real staying power, anti-seize works real well.
Kind of messy though, if too much is used, and don't know how it reacts with so called plastics and such.
Probably ok as it's designed for spark plugs in aluminum heads.

Lots of people have lots of different favorites, which leads me to think that there are more good choices than bad ones available. For grease, I just use white lithium grease. A small tube from the auto supply store lasts a looooooong time. I only use grease on rails, though, oil elsewhere.

Glock instruction manuals say to wipe the outside of the barrel and forward inside portion of the slide with oil, use one drop on each rail groove, and a drop at the back of the trigger bar where it contacts the connector, and that is all. Glock also recommends leaving the copper lube on, but it gets cleaned off of course. I have used both oil and grease, both lightly, on the rails of my Glock without seeing any difference in performance. I doubt it matters as long as you don't overdo it.

That was exactly why I was considering the copper coat anti seze type formula, but I don't have any info on its migration characteristics.

If you follow the EEZOX instructions, and apply it exactly as Glock directs for lubrication it doesn't seem to work as well there, as a heavier grease. That stuff is CHAMPIONSHIP GOOD for rust prevention as long as common sense prevails. I wouldn't PVC LONG TERM BURY anything using it and hope for grand results, but closets with occasional 6 month checks are good to go.

A certain amount of blue-oxide wear is unavoidable with range use and holsters too, but EEZOX still migrates if I use enough to provide adequate "start up lube". Wipe it off and don't worry with the Glock, but on stainless you notice more abrasion.

I have personal experience w/ BALLISTOL on the older all polymer Glock magazine bodies ( cracked it ) and boy, that taught me a $30 lesson I won't forget soon! IDK and I doubt that the old Glock factory mags will ever fit into the collector category but I understand that the Gen 1 Austria models are actually accruing a bit of value... Hard to believe but I guess one need original mags for a true collectors item. Thanks for your patience w/ my ignorance.

Last edited:
I think the magazine just gave up on its own. I can't imagine Ballsitol killing it. Ballistol may be one of the safest all purpose gun products out there.

On the subject of...Ballistol is not a GREAT lube, cleaner or anything else...but, its a darned good all purpose product that is non toxic.

Yes sir yes sir

3 bags full...why do I say this ?? I'm not against any lube/CLP etc, any more than I'm against cops the military or the local Boy Scouts...I guess.

They all are at least good at something. From what I understand BALLISTOL is great w/ black powder guys IDK, but I'd love a Ruger Old Army to find out. But I noticed some wired anomalys on chromed slide tabs w/ Glocks and that mag skrewup. It's the whole leaching into plastics that concerns me?? Is your plastic fantastic gonna crack because of that when you cook off a half a mag of PDX1 40 caliber at some idiot perp? If I was in LE that would bug me, much less a citizen at home who uses this stuff, wraps his weapon up....

This goes back to the whole training idea too, if you train w/ your carry ammo more wear and tear

I like the non toxic aspect of Balistol and it doesn't make me nauseous the way using Hoppes did. I switched over to using it a year or so ago and I'm pretty happy with it. It seems to leave everything nice and slippery for a while.

Ballistol for me

I'm German and used Ballistol back in the Army .
I have a H&K VP9 and a Walther PPQ M2 and use Ballistol on both .
Ballistol is recommended by H&K and Walther and I like the non toxic part.
For the Slides I use Tetra Gun Grease.

Now there's an idea...

You reminded me of Tetra, I hadn't thought of it for years. I used to work for a smith who swore by the stuff for semi-autos, that and RIG for stainless versions. I know this is trivial, but white greases make black guns look like you dropped your gun into the mixing bowl while mamma was making biscuits!!

I also thought of the red and tacky lithium grease, but never read where anybody uses it on firearms

I used Eezox for awhile, and came to the conclusion, its only real use, is as a rust preventive. I found it didnt work very well as a lube, and gummed things up over time.

Now, if you dont want something to rust? Thats the stuff you want.

I used Frog Lube there for awhile there too, and found it too gums stuff up, and even more so than Eezox.

Up until about a month ago, I was using left overs in the junk lube box. Seemed to have a lot of Tetra Gun for some reason. Dont remember buying it or using it all that much before.

Lately, Ive been trying Mobil One, and it seems to be doing the job OK.

Back