slip 2000 carbon killer kinda worked

Shadow9mm

Heard a lot about it. Tried it out myself today, no luck. I tested it on the back of a AR15 bolt that had some moderate carbon buildup due to my lack of knowledge early on. I tried 2 methods. I put a few drops on, let it sit for 15min, then hit it with a paper towel, then a bronze brush. a tiny bit wiped off, no real progress. Then I went all in. I took the lid off and the body fit perfectly and the lugs kept it from falling in. let it sit for 15min. same thing, a little residule wipe off, brush did not touch it. Put it back in, let it sit another 45min or so. 1hr total soak time. Same, a little wiped off, just enough to dirty the rag, chunks still on the bolt. I ended up having the scrape it clean.

Side note, I did use it as a bore cleaner for my shotgun it is an old mossberg 500 field barrel i got in trade years back. There was some plastic I could never get out. The slip 2000 got it out! It too 2 passes, but it got little ribbon of black plastic out of the barrel! At least I got some kind of win!

Anybody else used it? was there something I did wrong?

Last edited:
Pretty much my experience with so called, "Carbon Cleaners" None of them work like old fashioned carburetor cleaner dip made with chlorinated or chlorinated fluorocarbon solvents. I don't the EPA allows them to be sold anymore.

I've let parts that had a lot of carbon on them soak overnight. Then took an old bore brush to the part and the carbon came right off.

Carbon Killer doesn't melt the carbon off, it just helps in the removal of it. As you know, on the AR, carbon gets baked on to the BCG do to the design.

If you have one of the scraper tools, that helps to get the carbon off also.

KG-1 is a good safe carbon remover , I use it in the barrel , bolt and carrier , dried and topped off with Ballistol, works well for me . The CAT M4 is a good tool to have also. Hope I Helped in some way.

BreakFree made a product that was about the best carbon solvent I've found. It was super thin, as clear as water and came in a glass jar.

Then they stopped making it which I found very irritating as I've never been able to find anything else nearly as good.

BreakFree made a product that was about the best carbon solvent I've found.

I was just struggling about 15 minutes ago to get carbon buildup off of the feed ramp on my 9mm using Hoppes. I looked on my cleaning shelf and saw some Safariland Breakfree and 1 blast of it solved my problem.

Good stuff.

I tried Slip 2000 Carbon Killer with rather poor results.

I got it because I couldn't get the carbon and copper fouling out of the chrome lined muzzle brake and gas chamber of my AK-74 rifle.

I'd tried packing them with paper towel and soaking the towel with Hoppe's #9.
I'd soak as long as over night and get the towel out almost completely blue from the copper, but the inside of the break and chamber were black from the carbon.

I tried the Slip 2000 and it didn't remove it either.
So, as an experiment I tried running the Slip 2000 and muzzle break in an ultrasonic cleaner. Still didn't work and the Slip 2000 turned an "off" color, indicating that i may have ruined it.

Then I bought some Shooter's Choice Extra Strong Copper Remover to clean a new rifle barrel and just as an experiment I tried it by packing the break and chamber with paper towel and soaking that.
I was surprised after 20 minutes when I removed it and the carbon was GONE and the hard chrome was completely clean and bright.

My buddy is recommending I try BoreTech CU+2 Copper cleaner.
He says it works extremely well and doesn't have the harsh odor my wife complains about.
I haven't ordered any yet so I don't know if it'll be as effective on carbon as the Shooter's Choice Copper Remover.

I tried Slip 2000 Carbon Killer with rather poor results.

I got it because I couldn't get the carbon and copper fouling out of the chrome lined muzzle brake and gas chamber of my AK-74 rifle.

I'd tried packing them with paper towel and soaking the towel with Hoppe's #9.
I'd soak as long as over night and get the towel out almost completely blue from the copper, but the inside of the break and chamber were black from the carbon.

I tried the Slip 2000 and it didn't remove it either.
So, as an experiment I tried running the Slip 2000 and muzzle break in an ultrasonic cleaner. Still didn't work and the Slip 2000 turned an "off" color, indicating that i may have ruined it.

Then I bought some Shooter's Choice Extra Strong Copper Remover to clean a new rifle barrel and just as an experiment I tried it by packing the break and chamber with paper towel and soaking that.
I was surprised after 20 minutes when I removed it and the carbon was GONE and the hard chrome was completely clean and bright.

My buddy is recommending I try BoreTech CU+2 Copper cleaner.
He says it works extremely well and doesn't have the harsh odor my wife complains about.
I haven't ordered any yet so I don't know if it'll be as effective on carbon as the Shooter's Choice Copper Remover.
i tried the bore tech c4 carbon remover before I tried the slip 2000. same thing, did not remove it.

I got a response back from slip 2000.

"Carbon after it is left and re heated over and over again can actually turn back t a almost steel like matter. Not knowing or seeing the bolt or knowing the ammo used, some burn much hotter than others and leave behind a much tougher carbon residue. The only way to get that off will be picking, chipping or grinding off. That’s why its so important to maintain and clean that carbon off after every couple thousand rounds"

I don't think anything could be worse then the AK-74 muzzle break and gas chamber when shot with the Soviet surplus 7N6-PS steel jacketed, corrosive ammo.

It's amazing how much copper is deposited by the thin copper plated jacket bullets and the carbon fouling is way beyond anything else I've seen.

Only the Shooter's Choice Copper Remover removed it all right down to the hard chrome lining.
I'm going to pass on the BoreTech and get more Shooter's Choice since I know it works, although I didn't try the BoreTech CU+2 COPPER remover.

I don't think anything could be worse then the AK-74 muzzle break and gas chamber when shot with the Soviet surplus 7N6-PS steel jacketed, corrosive ammo.

It's amazing how much copper is deposited by the thin copper plated jacket bullets and the carbon fouling is way beyond anything else I've seen.

Only the Shooter's Choice Copper Remover removed it all right down to the hard chrome lining.
I'm going to pass on the BoreTech and get more Shooter's Choice since I know it works, although I didn't try the BoreTech CU+2 COPPER remover.
If you found something that works, and better yet works well, stick with it!

Bore Tech Carbon Remover works very well for me but I use it almost immediately after shooting.... Their Copper remover works well also.

Carbon or copper does not get a chance to build up.

Back