Slingers

Bella

Does anyone here use a sling on their field shotgun? I am considering adding one to my bird gun. I have seen it in the past.

Its common on rifles, after all big game hunting can often require a good deal of walking. Upland can also require walking.

I have a sling on all my field guns. After hours of walking arms and legs can get tired and sometimes it's nice to hang it on my shoulder. There's also obstacles that are easier to get around with a gun on a sling.

And if you don't like the sling take it off.

+1 on the sling. Nothing special, just an ordinary padded rifle sling - but it sure does help when you've got an arm load of other stuff (decoys, seats, etc.).

Last edited:
turkey guns

My long time 870, and the Moss 835, both have slings, and stay slung alot during turkey hunts. Gobbler hunting not a jump shooting exercise of course, and you sometimes can cover a lot of ground. Oppositely, toting a blind, folding chair and what every else too a long sit, the sling is a big help too.
I made these slings up from SKS/AK green web slings, simply sewed on two sling swivels and a buckle. Cheap, and works for a variety of long guns.

Me three.
Got into the habit at shotgun steel matches.
It was required as the way to keep things safe.
For some reason folks got testy about having 12 gauge muzzles waving around.

I have installed slings on just about every kind of shotgun with no problem, though some are easier than others. At one time there was a clamp type that allowed a sling to be mounted on the barrel of a single barrel or the barrels of a double gun; I haven't checked, but it is probably still made. (Mounting a sling on the foreend of a double or single barrel shotgun is often not feasible; either the sling can pull the foreend loose or the foreend is too thin for mounting the swivel.)

Jim

not just kosher IMO

not for hunting atleast

in reality I just think it looks cool to carry a shotgun like an african PH:D

i have slings on my turkey shotguns,but they come off when i get to my stand. i have hunted in three africa countries and never saw the TV carry for rifles. if you are hunting some thing that can claw,bite or stomp you to death you will want your rifle to be in your two hands, not over your shoulder being grasp by the barrel with one hand. eastbank.

I have put slings on everything, including SxSs where I drilled and tapped the bottom rib. When you are walking miles, carrying waders, decoys, and a big bag of 'stuff', you have to as a practical matter. I use them lots of other times afield also. Just real convenient.

Mounting from a sling position can be mighty quick.
Carry it muzzle down, facing forward from the opposite shoulder than it will be mounted and shot from, with the support hand on the fore end.
With one sweeping motion, it's in place and on target.

Back