Sling Shot

Scott Evans

Staff Alumnus
I began my shooting practices when I was 9 years old. I was promised a BB gun by my father for Christmas that year. Unfortunately just a few weeks before Christmas that year one of the kids in my area put out his own eye with his BB gun. My mother, not being from a shooting background, was distraught and adamantly opposed the purchase of my BB gun by my father. I was sure that Dad would not break under the pressure but was hart broken that Christmas morning where under the tree no BB gun could be found. Dad tried to explain how the time was not right but it did little to ease my disappointment. One of the gifts I did receive was a subscription to Boy’s Life or Outdoor life or something like that magazine. While reading it that night before I went to bed I spotted an add for a “Wrist Rocket” . $3.50 + .50 S/H … I wrote a note grabbed the $2.00 I received in my Christmas card from Grandpa Evans (all the grand kids always received a card at Christmas from grandpa Evans with $2.00 in it; $1.00 for Christmases and $1.00 for your birthday … whenever that is … He had 6 children of his own and a lot of grand kids, not much money and a fading memory.) To his $2.00 I added coins from my Batman bank until I had the entire $4.00. I snuk an envelop and a stamp from my mothers desk and sent off the whole janglely thing the next day. It is a wonder it ever made it. After that I waited every day for the mailman. I knew that if my mother intercepted that package I would never get my Wrist Rocket. The day before school started up again, after the holidays, it came. I quickly went off into the woods to test out my first weapon. It took a while to get the hang of it but I was truly amazed at the incredible power of such a simple device. Across the street from my house were RR tracks that went through a patch of woods and approximately 2 miles down they also past the school that I attended. I would pack my WR and carry it concealed while at school and walk the tracks and hunt in the woods every day on the way home. If you are familiar with a WR you may be wondering how a 9 year old boy caries such a thing concealed. Well I carried it around my waist under my shirt (something I can no longer do). I would place the WR on my left side, the “Y” across my belly, stretch the bands around my waist and behind my back and hook the leather pouch to the arm brace portion of the handle with a bent paper clip. I did this nearly every day for 3 years. It was quite comfortable and I was never discovered. My mother eventually found the Sling Shot but to my surprise she gave it little concern not realizing that it was far more powerful then the BB gun she was so worried about. To make a long story short the shills I acquired while stalking and hunting, the respect for the damaged even a simple weapon can inflect, and that control between body and instrument in delivering a projectile on target have served me well over the years. Everything from that experience has translated perfectly into the handling of firearms. I still have that sling shot and still use it from time to time.

Scott,
This brought bakc a lot of memories. I made my shooter out of an oak crotch. 70 years ago, inner tubes were made of real rubber. Black was standard, and red was magnum. Killed many birds, quite a few rabbits, a very few squirrels. I did use it for personal defense when the bigger boys would get after me. My reputation told them not to mess with Kit when he had his shooter in his pocket.
Kit in AR

Sling shots that support on the wrist are have been banned in Aus for a few years now.

Assemble sling shots are also banned but legally sold in 2 parts - the frame & the tubing.... go figure ?

Big EXPOSE` on how (with a steel ball) they would penetrate Fibro walls of houses !

Next thing you know they'll ban pocket knives.... oops they did ! ;)

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"

Yep, fond memories of slingshots, tin cans and searching for just the right rock. I also played around with a plain old sling. Two old shoelaces and a scrap of leather. More powerful, but not as accurate. For me anyway.
Todays kids don't know what they've missed. To them if it doesn't require batteries or plug into the wall, it can't be any fun.
What a shame.

Greyfox. I still have my old David and Goliath sling. Never could hit anything with it, but it sure came in handy flinging large caliber cobbelstones down hillside to spook out deer. In fact, I found it the other day while cleaning out the shed. My grandson wanted to know what it was, and I showed him. Now he wants me to make him one, but his mother won't allow it. Pleasant memories.
Paul B.

COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!

Wow more stereotypes.
Hey Greyfox that isn't true! I'm 18 years old and I grew up hunting rabbits, dove and quail with a BB gun, Airgun, .410/.22 and a wristrocket. In that order. I enjoyed the wristrocket more cause it wasnt much fun with the others. I still pull it out of the drawer and take it for a test run every now and then. So not ALL of us need electronics to be amused. :) Justin

HS >Sling shots that support on the wrist are have been banned in Aus for a few years now.<

Arn't those considered "Assault Slingshots"? :}

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

I presume Oz will next ban tree branches and surgical tubing. A treeless wasteland with no medical care? All in the name of previnting violence???

Striker3,
I stand corrected. True not all, but many kids can't live without their electronic toys. Even on scout camping trips sometimes at night you can hear a low steady beep, beep, boop coming from one or two tents. On the up side we've found that the more camping a boy does, the more likley he is to leave these games at home. Ol' Momma Nature is a wonderful teacher.

BTW: Alot of them find a facination with searching for the perfect forked stick. :)

I'm 21, and I loved my wrist rocket. It was called something else, but it was the steel version with a wrist support. It rocked.

We lived about 100yds from the railroad tracks on the edge of town and we loved to walk the tracks. I don't know if this is normal, but our tracks were covered with iron balls about the size of the steel shot you were supposed to buy at the store. They weren't perfectly round but much more uniform than rocks and you could pick up a pocketful in about 10 seconds--I loved 'em but my mom hates the things. She still finds one in the house occasionally!

Back