Sling for marlin 336

wuluf

I bought a used 336 from gunbroker. It looks to have sling mounts installed. Is there a standard size? Will any swivel mount fit the diameter of the hole? I've never mounted or used a sling before..

Standard QD swivels will work. 1" or 1.5" depending on the width of your sling.

That will allow a simple carry strap type sling to be used

probably

Without a pic regards your Marlin, I'm believing that the "holes" you refer to, are the holes in the sling swivel studs that are already onboard your carbine. A sling swivel stud is a dome shaped fixture with said "hole" that will accept the detatchable sling swivel from any variety of manufacturers. I suppose it's possible, but these things are largely universal in my experience. I like detachable slings/swivels, as there are times I find it useful NOT to have a sling on the gun. Storeage in the gun safe for one.

Your rifle may have fixed sling "shackles". A shackle is a fixed metal loop that accepts the sling itself. Many military rifles have sling shackles, the sling being revmovable by unthreading off the rifle while the shackles remain. Some vintage rifles have shackles that are not fixed and will swivel. Your Marlin may be so equipped.

About the only sizing issue you will run into is selecting the sling width. Slings do indeed come in different widths. As long as the sling you select (or the manner in which attatches) will fit through either the shackle or the swivel, you should be fine.

This seems like a lot of words over slings, but I'll add a few more. I've made a few very practical slings by using the geen web slings so common on the Mosin and SKS rifles that poured into the country in the past decade or so. Their webbing, some US/domestic sling swivels and a clasp to allow adjustment yielded durable and practical slings that I can swap to any rifle with studs.

Thanks for the help.
Rifle pre-installed with studs.
Uncle Mike's swivels installed in seconds.
Sling installed in minutes.
Less complicated than anticipated, almost always.
Many thanks..

Back