Sling Advice

Hook_N_Bullet

Neoprene or Leather?

When it comes to carrying a deer rifle all day, I was wondering what preferences people have for the type of sling they use. I have a Neoprene sling for my Ruger M77 Mark II, and am very happy with how comfortable it is. But I was wondering if it holds up as long as leather, which is stronger, etc.

All opinions appreciated!

Dave

We've had both that have lasted for years. I have an Uncle Mikes camoflauge sling that is like a tough canvas like material, with some kind of a gel inside to make it sift, and a kinda-tacky material down the one side that keeps it from sliding off your shoulder. Now we have quick release clips on most our guns, so I just move that sling to the gun I'm using at the time. I never really had a problem with leather slings either. I really don't find the uncle-mikes any easier on my shoulder after a few days, but it's nothing to worry about.

I've always preferred leather because it doesn't slide off my shoulder. I despise nylong slings for that reason.

As far as design of a sling, I've used both a narrow strap with a small slip-on pad, and a tapered sling with the wide part at the shoulder. I'm gettin' bonier in my old age, so the former is more attractive, now...

I don't care for these wide, padded heavy and decorated leather slings I see in the stores nowadays. Mostly, I just don't like gaudy stuff...

:), Art

Back