Sling a 98 Mauser with commercial sling

HankC1

I have a K98 Mauser with side sling slot on the butt. I want to sling it to make it easier to carry but don't really want to spend the money to buy a genuine Mauser sling since I have couple 1-1/4" commercial slings sitting around already. Is there a good way to use a commercial sling on a Mauser with sling slot thru the butt? I don't want to put a sling stud on the rifle. Picture will be great. Did my search, did not find much. Thanks.

Find a sling that will fit the stock slot. Cut the sling to the right length, then have a leather shop/shoemaker sew the end over to make a loop. Put the loop through the stock slot from the left side and put a piece of wood of just the right size through the loop on the right so the wood holds the sling in place.

Jim

put a piece of wood of just the right size through the loop
I suppose you meant a wood wedge that lodge the loop in the slot. Good idea, that should work! I was thinking to have a plastics sling loop (3 bars and 2 slots) at the end, but the sling would be loose. A wood wedge would work better.

Take your commercial sling. Attache it to the front sling mounting point.

Take the rear loop of the sling that would go to the rear sling mounting point, and tie it to the stock using a piece of 550 cord routed through the stock sling hole.

Jimro

i have one of those repro slings on my R/C K98 and they are $20 well spent they fit the rifle perfect and look great . easy to adjust im happy . :)

The reproduction K98 slings look great. I've got a a 1930 Radom K29 without a slot in the stock, does anybody make one for those?

Back