Slightly Annoyed About New Taurus 357 Ultralite

Drakejake

I just discovered that Taurus has issued a seven shot .357 mag that has an aluminum frame and titanium cylinder (called multi-alloy). What annoys me is that the new revolver is 4 ounces lighter than my all-titanium .357. I thought I was buying one of the ultimate revolvers for carry and now they cut the weight by 20%. Perhaps a titanium frame is superior to an aluminum frame in some respect--such as strength or corrosion resistance--that justifies the higher weight. Any comments? (And then there is the 12 oz., 5 shot, .357 mag in scandium alloy promised by Smith and Wesson.)

Drakejake

See Drakejake,

I have a 617Ti as well and had to do the same reasoning when I saw the multialloy had just come out. (DOH!.....must..must.....have.......lightest.......)

BUT....I think I would rather have the extra 4oz of titanium and not have to worry about constantly shooting any full house loads that I want. Stronger than steel- oh yeah....good piece of mind there. durability, man.

So that's how I reason it. BTW, don't you love that gun! sweetest, most controllable .357 snub I have ever shot.

just my .02

ZackG27

Agree with the above, I prefer my 4oz. heavier 617Ti. I was amazed how controllable this little cannon was when I first fired it. I love it!

For those of you that own the 617T have you ever experienced any problems such as a light primer strike or cylinder lock up? I have been wanting one real bad but the recent posts about the questionable quality of Tarus handguns is making me rethink my decision.

I, also, have been considering one of them model 617 in Titanium or Titanium/Aluminum (when finances allow). I will most likely go with the aluminum version. Not nessecarily for the weight aspect, but it lists for $70 less. ;) Here's my problem: The aluminum one doesn't have an option for a bobbed hammer yet and I am wanting this for a pocket gun. If I grind it down myself, am I asking for light strike trouble?

PerserveFreedom, one word,YES. If you mess with the hammer you will probably need the get a heavier spring to overcome the loss of mass. Of course a heavier hammer spring means a harder trigger pull...
Also JMHO: An aluminum frame is not a 357 frame. Anything over 38 cal really needs stength, especially in the top strap area. But like I said, this is JMHO, I would hope Taurus has done their homework before offering this.

Back