Slide wont catch after last round..

TGS

is fired.
AMT Hardballer .45ACP, 5"
Older, fitted new barrelbushing, tighten up the slide and its hitting about 1.75 at 45', in general it functions quite well. Added an extended slide release thinking maybe that would resolve the slide problem. tried a couple different mags. Sometimes the slide wont lock up tight either. Took out the mag release mechanism but saw nothing that caught my eye. Just bolting the slide by hand it works fine but more often than not when the last round is fired the slide wont catch. What might I have over looked
Tom

Maybe your holding down the release with your weak hand. I had this problem with both the normal release and an extended. I "back yard" machaniced the extended one (not the prettest job) with a Dremel until it fit where I didn't hold it.

Just a thought.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Tom, if you are using a shok-buff take it out and maybe go to a thinner one. Also your recoil spring may be too heavy for the load you are using and it could also be the result of anticipating the last round and relaxing your grip. George

not using a buffer and droped to a 14lb recoil spring and it appeared to help for a clip or two then became intermitant again. Im goin to try opening up the notch a little more and see what happens.
puzzleing!
Thanks for the feedback ya'll.

Had the same problem on my sig.I dimples the mag followers where the hit the slide release.It made them push it up farther and corrected the problem.You mag catch could be a little worn and letting the mag set a little low.Will still feed ok but will afect the hold open.The catch on the slide is not the problem so do not cut on it.Remmember allways work on the cheapest part.In this case the mag followers.

------------------
beemerb
We have a criminal jury system which is superior to any in the world;
and its efficiency is only marred by the difficulty of finding twelve men
every day who don't know anything and can't read.
-Mark Twain

If the slide will sometimes lock back and sometimes not with the same magazine take a look and see if the slide stop pin is being very slightly but noticeably pushed to the left by the act of putting the pistol in or drawing the pistol out of the HOLSTER. If after you draw (and do this check with an unloaded pistol) you can slightly move the slide stop to the right that might be what's making the difference. If it moves noticeably ,push it to the right so it's flush against the frame and then try a few magazines with just 3 rounds to see if it will lock back on the last round. Let me know if this helps
Shalom

Back