Slide catch lever fails on Sig P232. Ideas?

Joseph

Today I fired the first 200 rounds through a new Sig P232, 100 American Eagle and 100 Winchester white box, to break it in. I cleaned the gun after buying it, and then cleaned it after 14 rounds, 50 rounds and 150 rounds.

Twice the slide catch lever failed when a magazine went empty. I didn't notice which magazine it occurred on, but both are factory new. At first I thought I had failed to light up a primer, but then discovered no round in the chamber.

All rounds loaded and fired as expected, with remarkable accuracy, I might add.

Any ideas.

Thanks,
Roon

I've had a P230 and 2 P232's, and I've never had that happen. Field strip it and actuate the slide stop. If it's a little stiff, "excercise" the spring by lifting the slide stop to soften it up a bit. Be sure to put just a dot of oil between it and the frame. If that doesn't work out, look to the magazines. Disassemble the mag and make sure they are clean. Beyond that, it sounds like a job for SigArms. Good choice by the way, I carry my P232SL with night sights and Hogue grip just about every day.

What is this? A test? Neither the Sig 230 nor 232 have a slide release lever. They are straight blow-back desgns. The lever on the side of the gun is the de-cocker.

The slide should hold back on a empty mag but it will slam home if the clean clip is dropped. This is part in parcel of the trade-off of having a wonderfully balanced,slim,concealable weapon. The other is the necessity to hit the perp between the eyes due to the ballistics of the .380 ACP.

Don't get me wrong, the 232 is a fine pistol and I hope to add one to the collection some day but I believe the slide will not stay open by itself.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

"Neither the Sig 230 nor 232 have a slide release lever."

Yep, you're right. But it does have a slide "catch" lever (item 14 on the parts list) to hold the slide open when the last round is fired. (It's an internal part.)

The slide does lock open, and is released by dropping the mag and then re-drawing the slide and letting it release into battery.

Thanks for setting me straight. I hope that your Sig just needs some more break-in. I handled one the other day and I must confess that it carries much better than say a new S&W Chief's Auto Special or a Glock 26. The flatness of the design lends itself well to concealed carry in a business suit.

Again, I hope to add one to the pack some day. Quite frankly, the older I get, the more I think that accuracy plays more of a role at exremely close ranges than does power.

What ever you do, beware of an American Walther PPK. I had one and it was very unpredictable so it was ex-communicted from the tribe.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

An update:

I ran another 200 rounds through today, 100 Silvertips and 100 PMC (thought I'd go for extremes :) )

I had one failure to catch, about half-way through the session. I did make a note of the magazine.

I've got to rave about this gun again. It is so accurate, a joy to shoot, and so far no FTF. A guy at the range was shooting his new Walther 99, not too well - an off day. He shot my P232 and his accuracy really improved. I was having a very good day and did very well with his Walther (not S&W).

The P232 just has wonderful ergonomics.

Enough! Cheers - Roon

Back