sleeping bags

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunmart

i need to know what kind of sleeping bag i need for a trip to wyoming ?i will be there in october for a elk hunt.i will be staying in a tent with a woodburning stove.we will pack everything in on horses and atv so size has never been a issue.my price range is in the 250-300 range .

please reffer me to any sites you know of./

Within your price range you should have no trouble finding a bag rated to keep you warm down to 0 farenheit. Which you may need in Wyoming in October. But there are so many options its hard to even start. I'd go to:
www.rei.com

They have some pretty good on-line shopping. If there is an REI store near you, their knowledgeable folks will give you all the advice you can stand.

If there's not an REI near you, head for someplace that gives good service. Not Wal-Mart or K-Mart. Get something good quality, and rated colder than you think you'll need. Its been my experience that the ratings are sometimes "best case"--as in, that 0 degree bag may keep you warm at 15, but you'll want something rated to -15 to stay warm at 0.

I like Kelty brand, for what that's worth.

Kelty, north face, REI all make good bags.. go 0 at a miunimum -10 is better. You can also get a good bag at Cabela's.. just be sure yoiu have plenty of time to get it shipped.

Rob

Gunmart, I need to move this to "Gear and Accessories" forum.

If it were me, I'd take a hard look at www.wiggys.com - they have a great reputation.

You can increase your bag's ability to keep you warm by wearing a watch cap and clean socks. I've actually had more problems getting rid of excess heat.

Giz

I concur with the prior posts on this subject. The bag I use is a Cabela's Summit model mummy type. It uses Hollofil and is rated to -20. I've used it in Alaska, Canada, and most western states between May and late November with no real issues. I think they go for around $150 and the weight is around 7 1/2 lbs, which both don't seem of concern to you at this point.

Any bag in the price range you listed should work for your needs. Wether you choose goose down, hollofil or quallofil, it comes down to personnel preference. Just make sure you put it inside a garbage bag inside the stuff sack in case it rains on the way in. A wet bag is a bummer!!

Good luck on your elk hunt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back