Slateman is getting better . . . .

Slateman

Went to the range this morning before football. Started off at 11 yards and worked my way to 7.

5 shots at 11 yards
5 @10
5 @8
5 @7

The head shots were at 7 yards.

4178832813117467809gv.jpg

The only down side to me is that it was all slow fire. I need to start a training course to learn to rapid fire.

Use a sheet of typing paper for your target.

Start close and shoot as fast as you can while still keeping ALL your shots on the paper. Work on increasing your speed but don't let shots fall off the paper. If you need to move it back toward you a bit then do it.

When you're going about as fast as you can pull the trigger and the groups start shrinking toward the middle of the paper, move the target out a little and try again while shooting at the same speed. Keep moving it out until you start dropping them off the page and then move it back towards you a bit.

Practice at the new distance until the groups start shrinking again and then repeat the above step.

Don't expect huge improvements overnight. This may sound simple, but it's going to take a LOT of rounds to get good.

Keep repeating the process until you're satisfied with your proficiency or until you can't move it any farther and still keep your speed up.

I'd say that when you can empty a stock centerfire service pistol class handgun at 10 yards as fast as you can pull the trigger and not drop any shots out of the kill zone (say the 9 ring on your target) on a silhouette target you're doing pretty good.

Work on a smooth trigger pull and concentrate on the front sight, not the target.

Then you can start practicing reloads and malfunction drills. ;)

MOZAMBIQUE

I agree, shoot as fast as you can and still hit where you aim.

Two things...

Pick an imaginary spot, about the size of a poker chip, near the center top of the paper and another spot, center bottom.

Then put two in the bottom "spot" and one in the "top spot"
1,2... 3 1,2... 3 or Mo, zam, bique :D

Start at the 5 yard distance and work the target back only when you have fired the three rounds as fast and as accurately you want it to be.

This will really get you going fast. Do not be so fast that you fail to hit the
"spot". The spot is priority one.

The Mozambique is two to the high-chest a few inches below the base of the neck, and one to the eye/nose area.

What? Not center mass? The perp might be wearing a bullet resistent vest or body armour. Besides, center mass is what they recommend to "average" shooters who can't shoot. :D

Remember... ALWAYS shoot at a spot on the target... never at the target. This focusing may keep you alive.

Back