SL-8 with a AR mag!

Was flipping channels on Sunday and on TNN there was some outdoors show on. At the end of this show one of the hosts had a SL-8 with a AR mag in it. Did anyone see this? Thought that is was not possible.

Robert

Didn't see that show but I have been talking to dealers and they've said that HK will sell modular magazine wells. These will accept NATO M-16/AR-15 magazines. Now, these are just gun shop guys, so I don't know how valid any of this info is...

I still won't be impressed. The price tag is unacceptable. HK, when first informing us of the weapon, said the price would be 800. What happened to the 800? That was supposed to be the major break-through, affordability. For the current asking price, I'll pick up one of those domestic G3 clones built around a milled receiver.

If we're talking about that light grey stocked rifle going for about $1.4k dealer, I'll pass on it. It's been modified from the HK36 so extensively you wouldn't recognize it.

The European SL8 sporting rifle can accept after-market mag well kits so that 20-40 round mags can be used with that weapon. The American import SL8-1 however, has been irreversably internally modified so that it will not function with either the mag well kit or any currently produced mag with a capacity greater than 10 rounds. This was done to comply with US import regulations.

[This message has been edited by SKN (edited December 22, 1999).]

I have handled the SL-8 and I must say that I really liked it... All except the 10 round limit.
If I could get on that used AR mags - then I would find it a worthy addition to my mighty Bushmaster.
In fact - I would probably consider on OVER an AR. It was a very handy rifle and felt good. The sights were usable and over all finish made me think it to be possibly one of the finest WORKING rifles you could get.
The only hold up was reduced capacity magazines. Being able to use Universal Standard AR Mags lets this rifle achieve its goals. The price for G36 is different - I remember it being published with an 800 dollar price too... the SL-8 should have had the same sticker. But it is varied enough from the G36 - and it being sought after by serious collectors in the US... Well - You have seen what happens with the Seacamp!
Should HK mandate that AR Mag friendly SL-8s be sold for 1000 or less... I would predict that sales of the SL-8 would surpass sales of the AR variants to competitive shooters and even to LEOs.

Note - Like New Bushmaster Shorty for trade for a AR friendly SL-8!

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

SKN, are you sure the European SL-8 accepts larger magazines? We have no hicap mag ban here in Finland (Europe), but when I asked the company importing HKs to Finland about 6 months ago they said that SL-8 only takes 10 round mags. Maybe it's changed after that?

Ossi

To my understanding, there is a plastic bar of some kind inside the mag well that does not allow any mods to this rifle. I am positive that I saw a AR mag in that SL8 on TV. Question. Is it a violation of the assault weapons ban to cut the plastic bar out of the rifle? Got to admit, it is a handsome rifle and hard to pass on. Will assume that after Jan 1, 2000 the prices of all these sporting rifles to come down a bit. Especially with Califorians loosing their 2nd on Y2K. The 45acp rifle that are arriving at dealers now are selling for $1100.

Robert

Adding a modular mag well or modifying the mag well to accept other magazines (including higher capacity ones) would not violate the National Assault Weapons Ban, nor would it violate the new Y2K California ban. Converting it to pistol grip would make it an AW in CA, but not the rest of the country. Adding a pistol grip AND a flash hider (for example) would be illegal nationwide. Now, with that said, these AW bans may not be the big issue. Because its manufactured overseas, it is subject to import restriction as well as Komrade Klinton's mighty executive order, which not too long ago, dealt H&K a pretty big blow by banning the SR-9, PSG-1 and some others because Billy alone decided that they were not "sporting" arms. I think an "AR friendly" SL-8 would be cool, and I'd probably buy one, but making such a Magazine kit available would be a poor business decision on H&K's part since it would again place them squarely in the sights (pardon the pun) of the whims of a currently ANTI-gun-politicians pen. Maybe when the political environment is a little less testy and we (as a country) have gotten past this ban this, sue them for that mentality, we'll see more of these kind of products. Until then though...

[This message has been edited by Spyderman (edited December 24, 1999).]

Ossi: Yes, I'm sure that an after market mag well kit is available for the Euro SL8 so that it will accept other mags, but IIRC they weren't AR/M-16 mags. I'll have to recover the info about the source for the kit on your side of the Atlantic, however. It was provided to me some months back but since it was of no use to me I discarded it.

Also, since the G36 is available to PDs, SDs and individual LEOs where approved by their employing agencies it renders moot the point of marketing a SL8-1 for them.

I am informed that the modifications preventing installation of a mag well kit or use of other than factory magazines involve something more than a plastic bar.

[This message has been edited by SKN (edited December 24, 1999).]

Back