SK's

I bought a laminated East German replacement stock about six months ago.

e_german_stock_002.jpg

Built a cupped butt pad.

butt_plate_1_005.jpg

Inletted the stock and built a strap.

strap_e_ger_002.jpg

Took a '54 Tula and polished it up for an East German Honor Guard parade rifle replica.

CSC_0039.JPG

CSC_0041_2_.JPG

CSC_0055.JPG

Turned out as nice as they come!

I have a Russian SKS carbine. The former owner sold it to me as broken and inaccurate.
I took the 4x scope off of the receiver cover and after a little bit of range time and front sight adjustment, I found it wasn't so broken nor inaccurate. Additional plus, the look-through scope base acts as a poor-man's ghost ring for me. The numbers match on mine, but it has been arsenal refurbed. I see that as a good thing. My trigger is very smooth, which is on the high-end of the SKS trigger bell curve, apparently.
The rifle is easy to load--you can buy stripper clips for fairly cheap all over the web. It's pretty well balanced as well. Recoil is nil; ergo follow up shots are easy. It ejects cartridges up and forward, so if your shooting while standing under a tree, expect weather conditions to be "sunny with a serious chance of steel casings."
Ammo is fairly cheap; the 7.62 cartridge size is hunting-legal, although there aren't large selections of bullet weights to choose from.
It is ridiculously reliable.
The length of pull is relatively short, so you will probably end up adding a butt-pad to gain an extra inch. It looks less pretty, but makes your stance more comfortable. I'm 5'10" for comparison.
The wood is nice.
There are a bajillion after-market products for it.
I give mine an 8 out of 10.

ps: Martin08, that's some beautiful wood-work

Mine is a circa 1959 Chinese model that has nearly zero finish left on it and mismatched numbers. It's about as close to a tack driver as an SKS can be. I love it.

sks_complete_1.jpg

I traded a Ruger 10/22 for it a couple of years ago.

Back