SKS Synthetic stock?

Bigmustard

Inactive
I have a Yugo SKS and have been thinking about changing out the stock to maybe an ATI Monte Carlo stock. I just want something plain looking like that. Any suggestions?

You won't regret the Monte Carlo. Those wooden stocks are way too short for grown folks. The Monte Carlo is a great choice. I had a Tapco stock with the collapsing buttstock and pistol grip for a while and it just didn't feel right to me. Those long rifles feel awkward with that type of tactical stock, but the Monte Carlo is a great fit.

Be careful trying to swap out the gas piston cover when you do it. I broke more than one steel pin trying to tap out the retaining pin in mine. There's probably an easy trick that I don't know about, but it's really stuck in there.

I believe that is the stock my Chinese SKS came in. I switched it out for a tapco. The ATI stock is not light, but it did make the rifle balance better. It had a decent cheekrest too.

Look at the stocks Chaote makes for the SKS. They are regarded by many as the best available. They don't currently offer a Monte Carlo style but they do make traditional and dragonov styles.

I might normally suggest selling the SKS and buying a KelTec bull pup .308 but they are very proud of their new toy. The bull pup SKS is the next best thing in 30 cal, at least it can punch properly through a wall if need be. Chaote stocks are OK but too long, for a more accurate rifle they are great.

I saw an OD composite stock on a SKS yesterday - It was very nice. I looked for a manufac but could not find one marked. If I find one I will share, but this has me interested in changing mine out.

DSCN0087.jpg

My russian, in a "choate" stock.

About the monte carlo stock, i am more of a pistol grip man myself and i love my side folding stock on my sks, it was very easy to change out and can rough the conditions of the thick woods that i am in alot of the time, very scratch resistent

This is my second Tapco stock, my first was for my Ruger 10/22. That stock was great, and this one is no less so. Admittedly there were some issues with fit. However, after some careful filing of the stock, it fit very well. Most complaints and "horror stories" seem to come from those who expected a perfect fit out of the box. NOT going to happen with a SKS. there WILL be issues, some more than others, so be prepared. I viewed and read at least a dozen articles and videos on how to install the Tapco stock. By doing so, I was prepared, and completed a relatively easy instal in about an hour. No special tools needed. All came out of my tool box. This stock really adds to the rifle, and don't listen to the purists out there who constantly criticize tinkering with an SKS. They are like wine snobs, all bluster, and pseudo knowledge. I changed the stock for performance, and frankly because lt does look "cool" Anyone should be able to do the same.

Back