SKS QUESTIONS????

45acp

I AM LOOKING TO BUY AN SKS. HOWEVER, I DON'T KNOW ALOT ABOUT THEM AND I DON'T WANT TO GET RIPPED OFF. THERE IS A GUN SHOW COMING TO TOWN IN ABOUT 3 WEEKS. I HAVE HEARD THEY WILL HAVE AN EXHIBITOR SELLING ROMANIAN SKS'S. ANY INPUT ADVICE OR HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

I own 2 russisan SKS and 1 romanian witch i bought at a gun store. Very good gun built well and good accrucy. I bought mine for 170.00$ to me that was a very good price. they can range from 199.00 or so.

Russians are the best, I've heard. I have a Chinese SKS which is 100% reliable and reasonably accurate (they weren't designed for sniping). Can't say about the Romanians, but if they're as good as the AKs, snap up all you can.

I paid $150 for my SKS, used in very good condition.

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

DO YOU GUYS HAVE ANY OTHER ADVISE... WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN THE WAY OF CONDITION OR WEAR? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT. DO SERIAL NUMBERS MATCH ON THE STOCK AND RECEIVER?

Yes,

First, in the computer world, capital letters are the equivalent of SHOUTING AT THE TOP OF YOUR LUNGS!

In order of preference, I rank SKS rifles as follows:

Russian SKS - $250-$350+ new, $200-$250 used. Most of these are pre-ban with a nice hardwood stock. These shoot well and are well built. Some are old, so check for corrosion on the gas cylinder and chamber area. Since most are pre-ban, no headaches if you leave the bayonet on.

Romanian - about $200 "surplus", as I have seen no truly new ones. These are old surplus rifles and are usually well worn. Construction quality is good and they normally come with bayonets. These are also considered Curio and Relic guns and can be purchased by collector FFLs. Check for wear and tear and really look closely for corrosion.

Chinese - $250+ new, $175-$225 used, depending on condition. These are highly variable in quality. Look for a good stock, sights on straight, and check gas assembly for corrosion. Most can be had new, but most are post-ban, so NO BAYONETS! They shoot just as good as the other two, but less consistent in build quality. My personal SKS is Chinese, with a Simmons scope on a B-Square mount. Typical accuracy is about 2.5 inches at 100 yards. YMMV.

Things to check:
1. Barrel - should be bright and clean. May have cosmoline in it. Most have 16" barrels, although some have 20"
2. Gas assembly - check both piston sections for rust.
3. Bolt - check for rust, especially around the firing pin.
4. Trigger group - my Chinese gun likes to get rusty springsif I do not oil them alot.
5. Stock - Russian and Romanian hardwood are nice. Check all for cracks. If you find one cracked, haggle the price down a bit, buy it, and get a nice Butler Creek stock cheap and the gun will look very nice.

Hope that helps! I have enjoyed shooting SKS rifles very much. Here, in Florida, they are very often found with 5-round hunting mags in them for use in deer and hog hunting.

Back