SKS question

Andrew,
I am afraid you are on the right track with your NYC restrictions.

NYC city code as follows ;

Its is unlawfull to possess or dispose of an "assault weapon", which is defined as any semiautomatic rifle or shotgun which has one or more of the following features:
Folding or telescopic stock or no stock.
Conspicuosly protruding pistol grip.
Bayonet mount.
Flash supressor or threaded barrel desighned to accomodate a flash supressor.
Barrel shroud.
Grenade launcher.
Or modification of such features ,or other features determined by the police commisionerto be suitable for militairy shotguns or "asault weapons".
Asault weapons also include any revolving shotgun or part intended to converta rifle or shotgun into an "assault weapon".
"Assault weapon" shall not include any rifle or shotgun modified to render it permanenlty inoperative.
It is unlawfull to alter,change,remove,disfigure,obliterate or deface the name of the maker,model,manufaturer's or serial number of a rifle,shotgun,or assault weapon.

OK by the above code, an SKS with a bayonett mount....regardless of weather or not it is classified as a Curio or Relic would be illegal in New York City.
"Im asuming"

If you were to remove the mount from the rifle......like many people do, or get a sporterised model....ok.

Then you come down to the magazine.....the determination of "sporting purposes" would lead me to beleive you must mount a 5 round magazine to conform to that configuration.

New York State hunting regulations require that a semi-auto hunting rifle must not exceed 5 round capacity.

This may also "NOT" be a factor since the Ruger PC9 & PC40, was developed to enable the NYC resident to have a short carbine length rifle in semi-auto configuration, that would take a detachable 10 round pistol magazines....this was designed so that a city resident could protect themselves without going thru the hassels of obtaining a NYC pistol permit.
"So I was told".

If the commisioner is going to make a determination, or the functionaries of the NYC legal system.... they will probably use this as "Your" or "Their" guiding determination.

Remember, NYC being quite unique and restrictive is sometimes weird, when it comes to semi-auto rifles.

Please do more research and possibly consult a NYC firearms knowledgeable attorney.
You can get some of the above information from the NRA website.
At WWW.NRA.ORG

"I am not an attorney and the above information is for discussion only, I can not, nor do I intend by my posting ....to give LEGAL advice".

Good Luck, WOLF

PS :
If you already own it and decide not to keep it instead of butchering it....E-MAIL me with what you have.. :)

A Friend across the river in NJ.

[This message has been edited by WOLF (edited January 16, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by WOLF (edited January 16, 2000).]

Back