SKS question

Little-e

A few days ago I got my pre/post ban question answered about an imported AK. Answer was it could have no evil features because it is imported.

A few years ago I bought an SKS (which still hasn't been fired) and I don't know if is pre or post. It does have the bayonnet lug but does not have a detachable mag. No thumb hole, just a straight wood stock. No pistol grip. It was made in China. How do I tell if is pre or post?

If your rifle came sans bayonet and is Chinese, it is a post-ban model. Frankly, who needs a bayonet anyway!

Good news is that you can legally put on a 30-round mag in most states. Personally, I use mine as-is, except for the addition of a B-square scope mount and a Simmon's 4X32 shorty scope. I can hit gallon milk jugs at 200 yards with ease.

Bad news is that folding stocks are a no-no, as are "flash hiders." The so-called "mulzzle brakes" are ok, to the best of my knowledge. I have had trouble with hi-cap SKS mages, so either use the 10-round that came with it or find a 20-round fixed Chinese mag.

Actually, the first SKS's imported into this country from China did not have bayonets. These were imported by Clayco of Kansas. Clayco wasn't around very long and other importers soon grabbed the market from them.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back