SKS Purchase Advice

Fred Schwarz

Inactive
I want to purchase an SKS. Any advice as to getting a Russian or Chinese? Is the paratrooper model a btter gun? Prices? Anyone know of good sellers?

Thanks

Fred

Gee Fred if this board was operational a few months ago I would have sold you my Chinese one with a nice 8x32 scope.

Try this site for some info: http://www.access.digex.net/~45acp/sks.html

I always felt that the Russian model had better stocks but never having owned one I can't attest to it being better than the Chinese version. The only problem I ever had with mine was that I could not find a 20 round magazine that that would work properly.

I suggest that you get a copy of Shotgun News to see what the prices are and visit a gun show or dealer in your area.

Hope this helps,
JBP

Hi Fred,

While the Chinese SKS works, I find that the quality, the fit and finish of the Russian SKS is superior.

Regarding the paratrooper model, that's a marketing name (like the Remington 700's three rings of steel - true, but it was their marketing dept's idea to push that feature) designed to promote sales. Works too.

Go to a show or gunstore or range and see for yourself.

[This message has been edited by 4V50 (edited 10-30-98).]

FRED,The russsians are the best and all milled. They were produced in the fifties. On the side of recever of chinese rifles look for a triangle with numbers inside it. It should be followed by three chinese charters. Then the serial# I have found that these guns have better quality metal work than ones with just a serial number. If you see one with the serial # starts with 90,91,92,93,94 like 92-xxxxxxxx stear clear of these unless you look them over real close. the workmanship????? on some is pretty iffy. Get one with the safety devise on it(bayonet). Unfold stick in ground cross fence. dosent get any safer better than leaning rifle on tree or fence where it could fall over.

I have two, A paratrooper that I've shot a lot, but not since I've owned MAKs, and a Full size that I've never shot, both are Chinese. I like them, but there are better choices for semi-auto rifle out there in the same price range, I think.

In the latest SGN Paragon has milled paratroopers for $180

Guys:

Good advice, esp. on the markings on checking the the Chinese ones. I kinda want a Russian one as its probably a truer military one and thats what I collect. I understand that many of the Chinese, including al the "paras" were built specifcally for the market in the US.

Rob, I only fired an SKS once and liked it alot. You think there are better semis out there, which ines? Are you talking AK clones? I might be interested in one f those (but those key hole stocks drive me nuts) I want to have a 7.62 x 39 semi auto, that ammo is a nice price.

Thanks all again for the advice

Fred

I was thinking more along the lines of some of the european guns, esp. converted to .308. If ammo cost is an important consideration (duh!, of course it is!) then the SKS is going to be a good choice, but I would encourage someone to spend a bit more and find a MAK or SKS Sporter, so that you can use removable mags.

The MAKs at the Gun show today were going for about $350-$400. The russian SKSs were around $250-275, the norincos were as cheap as $175. These were New prices.

I saw no SKS Sporters.

The two MAS's that I saw were both in 7.5mm and they were asking $275 for them!! I laughed at the guy and showed him the Gun list I had folded under my arm and asked him to explain himself. Gun Dealers at Gun shows seem to hate the fact that people are allowed to carry Gunlist and SGN....

Calssic Arms is advertising MAK90-S's for $299.95

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 10-31-98).]

Fred,

The guy at the Email below if offering an SKS Sporter ( with a scope an all accessories..) for $275 and a Russion SKS for $180.

aaron@1st.net

Also, the following link has a lot of SKS info:
http://www.netbabbler.com/goto/index.php3?forumid=6282

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 11-02-98).]

Great SKS: Russian, from their Tula Arsenal. Look for one that is "not reworked". There are some with a laminated stock and a satin-finished blade bayonet. Don't insult the design of the rifle by changing its' magazine. 10 shots, reloads w. strippers quickly, plus you can press-in singles. If you want hi-cap, removeable mags, get a SKS-D model or a AK-clone (Bulgarian SLR95 is NICE).

Back