SKS origin

Jseime

I have an SKS with serial # 3172XXX and a triangle looking emblem on it do you know where it could be from. Just curious, Thanks.

Sounds like a Chinese issue military rifle.
Does it have about three chinese characters just in front of the triangle? If it does, it is.
I had one and wish I never got rid of it!!! Great little gun after I put a stock extension on it!!

The triangle on my gun has a 2 and a 6 in it which are shaped to fit in the triangle and there was nothing regarding that on the ID website?

Its definetly an SKS but where from?

It's Chinese alright. A copy of the AK47. Perfectly OK as it is. Badly machined and with some weaknesses. I had one that the bayonet snapped on. My brutal brother-in-law was trying to adjust it.
Still, the design is good, for what it is.

Check out this site. You may have what's called a Sino-Russian SKS, and it may be a desireable piece. Read paragraphs (d) and (e) at that site. You may want to private message (PM) a member here on the Firing Line called JA. He knows stuff. :) The Simonov site listed above is a good one. The sksboards site thinks more highly of this rifle than some. Not sure how an SKS can be a copy of an AK-47? BTW it is Chinese. There are many factories in China that made the SKS, factory number 26 was just one of them. The lack of other characters has nothing to do with the question of where it was made

d. Highly sought after “Sino-Soviet” (first year – 1956 -- production) rifles will, therefore, not bear a set of three Chinese ideographs, but they will have a serial number commencing with a non-numerical character of some sort (Latin, Russian, Chinese, whatever) presented to the left of a /26\ arsenal cartouche.

e. A Sino-Soviet must come from /26\. Most of these well-built guns will have been thorough arsenal rebuilt during the 1980s and therefore contain features commonly associated with late production Type 56 Carbines (i.e., spike bayonets, stamped trigger groups).

Ok, so it is chinese, it is from arsenal 26, it doesnt have the chinese ideographs BUT, the serial # is just a number, no letters but the serial # is to the left of the arsenal "catouche".

Why oh why is everything I own oddball, maybe it's because I'm oddball?

Back