SKS Ejection

boing

A few years ago, I sent my shotgun in to have choke tubes installed, and I borrowed a friend's SKS to have in the house until my shotgun came back. He eventually moved away without taking the rifle back, and I lost track of him (yes, I did try to find him. I don't like the SKS to well.)

Not too long ago I got curious and took the gun out back to fire 10 of the 20 rounds I had borrowed. I fired the first round, paused for one or two seconds, and then the shell dropped straight down at my feet. Having no semi-auto/brass cartridge experience, I didn't think much of it, except "That's interesting", and I fired the other 9 rounds.

When I picked up the shells, I noticed some of them had a vertical crack up the side. At that point I got nervous.

It isn't usual for an ejected shell to go straight up and land almost on the shooter, is it? And what about the ruptured case?

The SKS is a Norinco, and the ammo is some kind of Chinese non-corrosive soft point, with an OD green shell (I don't have the box anymore. The dogs ate it.)

-boing

hey boing, i have a norinko too and it slings the cases everywhere. i have noticed small dents on the cases where the ejector caught them but no cracks. maby it was just bad ammo. as far as ammo for the 7.62 theres a russian brand called WOLF. it`s a non-corrosive, steel case, hollow point that shoots very well. thats the best brand i`ve shot so far.

hey boing, i have a norinko too and it slings the cases everywhere. i have noticed small dents on the cases where the ejector caught them but no cracks. maby it was just bad ammo. as far as ammo for the 7.62 theres a russian brand called WOLF. it`s a non-corrosive, steel case, hollow point that shoots very well. thats the best brand i`ve shot so far.

Don't know what Chinese Commie factory made mine, but my SKS came over as a war trophy before the Commies imported them in mass quantities (Sorry, no war stories. I got it the easy way and bought it).

Anyway, mine ejects almost straight up. My club has a covered area on the rifle line and the roof is corrugated steel. Boom! Ding! clank clank clank. Gun shoots, shell strikes corrugated steel, shell now tumbles onto concrete and rolls. Each time and every time.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back