SKS detachable magazine

Hi, I just got a Norinco SKS witb fixed 10 round mag. I was wondering what I would have to do to convert it to a detachable magazine. I heard that you can just disassemble the fixed magazine, and the gun will accept detachable magazines, did I hear right? Thanks alot!

To remove the fixed box just remove the trigger group buy engageing the safety and taking a punch and push the little tang that is just behind the safety toward the front of the rifle. with the trigger group out and bolt open pull the box assy. out.
When I bought my last sks I got a couple 30 rounders with it. they work fine but I put the box back in. I like the box better and I can keep several hundred rounds loaded on stripper clips for when I go to the range. where the 30 round detachables worked I could not get the stripper clips to work with them. So for me they are useless.

Yes, you heard right. It does not convert it to accept standard AK mags though and the mags made for this particular application have become quite expensive. More importantly, DON'T DO IT. I noticed that you're out here in Kalifornia. There have been several people persecuted, um, I mean PROSECUTED for doing this to their SKS's. The ban on ownership of the SKS rifle in CA was originally intended to apply only to the SKS-D which was designed from the factory top accept the hi-cap AK mags. Because of the way the law was written, it has been ruled that it would also apply to a fixed-mag style SKS that has been converted to accept ANY type of magazine that is removeable without tools. A little while back, I heard that one man was prosecuted because he was found to be in possesion of a fixed mag SKS (fixed mag still in place) and one of the detachable mag kits made for the rifle. Until we get this state turned around or you move to a state that actually offers freedom, get used to stripper clips. Besides, with a little practice, you can reload just as quick and since stripper are lighter and less bulky than those mags, you can carry more ammo ;)
-John

Do be very careful. The state of California first required all people who had SKS rifles which would accept 30 round magazines to register them. ^.600 oeople did. After a few months the state declared that they are "illegal assualt rifles" and is trying to confiscate them.

Back