SKS: buy one, or not?

tombread

I want to buy an SKS-- I think-- and have found several for sale on the 'net. One is listed by Ellison's as a virtually new Chinese SKS, @$250. I may ask my dealer to find one for me, alternately, not to exceed $300. What is your experience with this firearm? Is it a reliable farm gun? (I don't have a ranch; here in Indiana we call 'em farms.) I'm not a hunter and already have various milsup bolt action pieces, plus an M1 carbine that is a hoot to shoot, but would like something with more range and accuracy for coyotes and other varmints. I lean toward military pieces simply for their historic interest, hence the SKS. Alternate suggestions are welcome.

Your criteria, "but would like something with more range and accuracy for coyotes and other varmints" changes everything.

The SKS is not a very accurate weapon. What ranges will you be shooting out to? 3-400 yards. If so the SKS will dissappoint you.

It is however, a very reliable weapon.

If you want the best of both worlds, consider an AR15. It is quite a bit more expense but you'll have excellent accuracy, reliability and an abundance of spare parts if necessary.

A new post-ban AR15 will run you about $750-$850 if you look around.

Good luck.
CMOS

I agree with CMOS. Another factor against the SKS is the weight. I have an AK47, AK74, SKS Para AK mag, an SKS 20 in barrel, and a Bushmaster xm-15. Of all, I like the AK74 and the XM15. Of the 2, I perfer the XM. If you can afford it, it will do an thing you ask it to do.

That said, if you just want to by an SKS, go for it. They're a lot of fun. Just not a 200 yard varmint gun.

An excellent kick-around beater gun. As mentioned, generally not much on accuracy. A ton of aftermarket stuff to make it better in looks, function, and accuracy, but you can only go so far with an SKS. Not much of a market for making super accurate SKSs. Why pay hundreds of $$ to modify a $250 gun? (Got mine when it was stil $125.)

Who knows? Maybe if you do buy one it could be the needle in the haystack and be THE ONE SKS that will shot a minute out of the cosmolene.

- Ron V.

------------------

I'll agree with HKSigWalther on the SKS. I've had mine for years and just took it shooting yesterday.

Stupid me, forgot the bring the sight adjustment tool again and had to use Kentucky Windage to hit the black. While it's no tackdriver, it is easy as heck to hit the gong at 120 yards with its iron sights.

It's a real beater. Ugly to start with, but you won't cry if you scratch it. Try that with a Colt. No magazines to fuss or mess with.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I've found my SKS to be a fun plinker, but I don't know that I'd pay $250. I guess I'm spoiled, as I bought two back when they were cheap. The first one I paid $79 for and kept it in original trim. The 2nd one was $69 and I sporterized it. Felt funny buying a Choate stock that virtually doubled the money I had in the rifle!!
Just as an aside, I actually thought about trying to write an article for one of the gun magazines. I was going to call the SKS the modern "Volksgewehr" (German for People's Rifle). At the time, they were so cheap and ammo was so available that I was of the opinion everyone should have one. Hence one for me and one for the wife. While they aren't modern and most (mine) use stripper clips for reloading, they are nice to have around in a pinch.

------------------
Dorsai
Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal
weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the
monarch of all he surveys.
-- Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Get one'I bought two.Up here in canada they are still $65.00 in your dollars and lots of
detach ak mags around.I farm also and one sks
was immediately sporterised with a grind stone and cutting wheel.Chopped off the bayonet and lengthened the stock with a board-crude and sturdy.I carry that rifle on an open tractor in dirt(lots)and don't worry much about rain.About 500 rounds I wash it with gas and blow dry it,a little grease and engine oil for lube and done.I treat it somewhere between a sledge hammer and a good ax.It may never see the inside of my house.
It is not too accurate but a scope will stretch it to 200 yards.

Most of the above comments dovetail with my experiences with SKS's.

Let me be the first (unless I missed something?) to say: "Get one." But, don't pay $250. Even if you have to drive for it or look hard, just don't pay that kind of money for a $120 rifle; it encourages other people to price theirs likewise. My personal SKS will, if I concentrate, put 5 rounds in 3.5" at 100 yds. That's it. No sporterization, and I bought the thing in the Chinese cosmoline for $75.
I treat this thing almost exactly the same way a dozen of my friends treat their Model '94 Winchesters. It's handy at 20". It's hard to get fine accuaracy, but, as earlier stated, a 10" gong ("the dinger") we have at 100 yds is a snap to hit from any position. I keep it as my truck rifle, and it doesn't wory me a bit when that yeller swamp wood gets scratched by the jack behind the seat. I even loaned it out as a deer rifle last season, making my friend promise to take no shots beyond 100 yds, and to use SP's (which are just as cheap, just as accurate, as the FMJs). The best feature of this rifle is that it's the "Always rifle." You can't pop a varmint of chance with that Sendero that you left in your cabinet at home or in the hard case in your trunk. You baby your rifle, and pretty soon, you just don't have it leaning against your chair, or rattling on the passenger floorboard of your pickup, or getting wet as you walk a fencerow in the rain. I've popped some varments with my Sendero and my M-77 .257, both capable of .75 MOA or better. But I've shot twice as many as the other two combined with that ratty Norinco SKS that throws groups about 6 times wider.

In this day and age, I'd go as high as $160 for an excelent specimen. The Chinese ones shoot just as well as the Russian ones, despite what people will tell you (to justify the expense they paid for thier Ruskies.). The Russian ones just have nicer milling and look better.

The Russian SKS has a nicer wood stock than the Chinese SKS and all have threaded barrels. Some of the Chinese SKS had pinned barrels. I have seen some Chinese SKS that are nice with milled receivers and threaded barrels. But the stocks on the Russian SKS I think are nicer and some are laminated. But if you find a Russian SKS now for $250.00, you will be lucky.Either way, the SKs is truly a peoples gun and I am glad that as many came in to the country as did come in. I find the SKS to be decently accurate at the shorter ranges and some are very accurate at 100yards.

Item: Ellison's has a reputation for 'creative' marketing. I would view their characterizations of condition with scepticism. Item: Even the best SKS is a heavy, gormy, underpowered weapon, whose importation benefited a totalitarian regime, and that is hardly more accurate than the average fixed sight handgun.
Item: It has a lousy public image.
Item: For the same money you can buy an almost-new .30-30, and eliminate all of the above items as concerns. slabsides

------------------
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject; a disarmed man is a slave.

Back