SKS aftermarket mags feeding reliability

Exiled And Addicted

Retired Screen Name
Tried out 2 new 30-round mags; they sucked. The steel one jammed every other round (every round fed from the left side of the mag), and the plastic one jammed twice in 30 (1 in 15). Same problem for both: bullet stuck underneath chamber mouth when feeding from left side; bullet jammed hard into case. Then I was told, yeah, everybody knows that, put the 10-round stock stripper-clip-fed mag back in and go to work. So, I guess my question is: Does anyone know how to modify these mags to improve feed reliability? Or just ditch 'em and try to take care of business with 10 shots?

Difficult to explain without demonstrating but... It would be more of an in and out or sideways motion (usually). This works better using a metal mag. With mag out of weapon, load dummy (preferable) or live(not a very good idea) round in mag. Note how the cartridge case lines up with the feed lips of the mag. Try pushing in or pulling out (in very small increments) the feed lips, first at the shoulder contact area, then the nose area or whereever there is a gross misalignment between the cartridge and the mag body. This is basically a trial and error process. Remember to keep all bends smooth with no kinks anywhere. Be advised that it is best to practice first with a mag that you can live without if (when) it is deformed so badly that you cannot fix it.
Conversely there are fixtures made for bending feed lips into mags though I'm not familiar with any that are made for the SKS mags. Perhaps the AK/SKS board that is mentioned elsewhere in TFL may have some better suggestions.

Back