Skinny barreled bulldog any good?

bullfrog99

I've come accross a skinny barreled, non shrowded bulldog with a 3" tube, it has 99.5% blueing almost new and i think i'm going to pick it up. for those of you who own or have owned these, how well do they perform, what loads do they like etc. What did you use it for besides the obvious ccw practices?

I have a stainless version of what you describe. I don't know the exact years for these (someone else will tell us) although mine is at least fourteen years old. The older Charter Arms were much better made than any of the later incarnations, and I've never experienced any problems whatsoever. I've shot mid-level 240 grain semi-wadcutter handloads all those years and fully expected to shake it apart by now, but haven't yet. I got it to shoot for fun (I like small bigbores) and also carry it once in a while, especially when packing light in the woods.

I had a Charter .44 Bulldog in 81 or 82. The rap at the time was, don't shoot it too much. Pretty hard recoil. Never loaded for it, so I don't know if you could lighten up the recoil by better bullet selection, changing powders, etc, but should be doable now.

Sorry, but I don't think this is going to help you much.

I'd check the timing and lockup very closely, also the cylinder/forcing cone clearance (I don't know what spec was or should be).

Back