Skeet, Trap Gun Recommendations

Ice Axe

Inactive
I tried skeet shooting recently for the first time. Enjoyed it immensely, using a borrowed Browning semi-auto (instead of my 870). I am now in the market for an all-purpose sporting clays gun. The fellows at the range recommended a Browning Gold or a Beretta A390.
I noticed that many of them used o/u's, some that cost as must as my SUV.
I'd appreciate hearing your recommendations for a good, reasonably affordable all-rounder.
Also, is the transition to o/u so likely that I should just look for one of those?

There is a difference in the sighing plane between skeet/sporting clays and for trap. Trap guns are made to shoot a foot or more high so that the shooter can keep the bird in sight at all times. The skeet/sporting clays guns are flat shooting, i.e. they shoot right on where you aim.
For all-around, it probably would be better for you to shoot a flat shooting gun as this would cover more aspects of the sport, including hunting. A few of the guys at the trap club shoot sporting clays guns.
I think the best bang for the buck has to be the Ruger Red Laber Sporting Clays O/U which will give you outstanding service at probably the lowest cost for an O/U. I haven't priced one recently but I think you can pick one up for around $900 (as opposed to $1,300 for a Browning Citori, or $2,500 for a Beretta)

Hope this helps. Regards, Mikey

------------------
Retired, Broke, and In Need of Brass, Powder, and Shot. Will Work To Shoot!

Ice, FWIW you may want to try a Beretta Whitewing if you want an O/U. It goes for about $1000 give or take $50. My gunsmith (who does some unbelievable work) does not like the Red Label's longevity. Good Luck with your choice!

------------------
Strength does not come from physical capacity.
It comes from an indomitable will. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Ditto what Theothermickey said. I have a Beretta AL390 Gold Sporting and a Beretta O/U Silver Pigeon II. Most of the guys shoot O/U, now get this, so they won't have to bend over so much and pick up shells. Club rule, you pick up what you shoot. Ruger Red Label O/U is a good one which can be picked up for $800+ Come back and tells us what you finally get.

BT-100 for trap

AL390 for both trap and skeet ( semi)

Citroi or Athena (weatherby) o/u skeet and trap.

House

If you get into it you will eventually get an O/U. Therefore, I recommend you get a good one to start. Go with a Browning or Beretta Sporting clays model.
I've heard about longevity problems with Rugers as well and consider them just hunting guns.
You're looking at enjoyable but expensive sports!

------------------

My recommendation to you is to buy a good used Remington or Beretta gas gun to start. Clay target games are fun and addictive and few shooters are still shooting the same gun they started with. By purchasing the used gun you will have extra cash to invest in gunfitting and lesons, which are the most important items a beginner can buy.

O/U guns are popular and eventually you will probably want one but try to shoot as many different guns as possible before you buy one. Most shooters will let you try their guns if you show them you are responsible and safe.

Check out this link:

www.shotgunreport.com/Articles/ShotgnHvn.html

Rugers are good guns but not particularly well suited to clay target shooting, although some people shoot them quite effectively. Buying a used gas gun that can always be resold is a good way to start without throwing away money.

For the record, when I started shooting Sporting Clays I purchased an O/U that was totally wrong for me and had to learn the above the hard way. The gun I shoot now is very expensive and I would never have thought to buy one when I was starting out, but you could not give me another gun to replace it. Dont spend big bucks untill you know you want to get heavily involved in the sport.

My$.02

Geoff Ross

Thanks for your advice. Not having ready access to all your suggestions at my local stores, I have spent some time researching them on the web in preparation for attending a gun show this weekend. I'll probably look first for a 390 or Browing Gold at a good price, with my eyes open for a Citori or other o/u, probably used, that I can justify. Two other questions, though: (1) Can I assume that any decent o/u would allow me to use tubes if I would decide to go that way? (2) Any comments on tubes v. four different guns?

Ice Axe, if I may impose my opinion again to answer your questions.

Sub gauge tubes come in two types, universal tubes (Made by Briley under the companion name) and tubes that have to be fitted to each individual gun by the manufacturer (either Briley or Kolar at this point). The fitted tubes are lighter but more expensive and cannot be interchanged with other guns. The companion universal tubes are twice the weight, somewhat less expensive and will fit any O/U or SXS with the same barrel length. I believe the companions come in 26, 28 and 30 inch lengths. Any O/U can be fitted with tubes.

Bear in mind that tubes add weight to the gun, all of it in the barrels which changes the handling of the gun. It is possible to have a special "Carrier"barrel made to take the tubes that will weigh the same as a standarg 12 ga barrel without tubes. Kolar and Krieghoff have these in their catalog, but I have seen them made for Brownings and Perazzis. This will be very expensive.

A second choice is an O/U with four barrels, (called a four barrel set). These are guns that came from the factory with barrel sets in four different gauges. This is also very expensive.

A third choice would be four different guns. O/U guns would be very expensive, especially in 28 and 410. Autoloaders may be easier. Remington makes the 1100 in all four gauges, although the 410 may be hard to find. Beretta makes the 390 in 12 and 20 at this time, I believe Browning does also. Neither makes their autoloaders in 28 or 410 that I know of. Pump guns have been made in all four gauges, again the 28 and 410 may be hard to find.

Most diehard skeet shooters use tube sets with an O/U. A full set of three gauges will cost between $1200 up to over $2500. A full set of companion tubes will cost about $1200.

Good Luck

Geoff Ross

for just starting out i would try a beretta 390 in twelve gauge, perhaps with an extra barrel, although lots of people shoot both games ,with a high degree of success, with one gun. i was taught how to shoot by a man whose son , whom he coached, captained the all american team 7 of the 10 years he shot competitively, to get a reliable gun you have confidence in, get it fitted to you, and shoot it a long time, years, before you start changing it...most guns will out shoot their owners until a high degree of proficiency is reached. i suggest the 390 since i shot one since they came out, and 303 's before that and have found them to be the most reliable autos in the game. i have shot trap with a tight choke in the short barrel with much success from 16 yds, and won the texas state skeet title in the 12 several times with the same gun and barrel with an open choke. i hunt doves and quail and pheasant with the same gun.
tubed guns are nice for skeet, the weight smoothes out your swing. many shooters in skeet will shoot the tube gun in the 20,28 and 410, and an auto in the 12. it really depends on how serious you are about competition, if you want to enjoy the game, get a 12 auto and blast away, it's easier to hit the them with more shot in the air. recoil is always discussed or cussed, with the ammo selections and barrel modifications available today, not to mention stock mods., recoil is almost a non - issue. a properly fitted gun is easy to shoot with just about any target load.

hope this helps and doesn't confuse.

Thanks again to all for your advice. I now have a Winchester Super X1 on approval. The gun is in excellent condition but is of uncertain age. It has a newer skeet barrel aded by the current owner, along with four screw-in choke tubes--two or three skeets and an IC. Very few rounds through it. It is now in the hands of a local gunsmith being checked out mechanically.
I see used Super X1's advertised for sale on the internet for $600 to $1000 (modified). The blue book price is $595. My price is much less than that.
Any comments on the gun? Should I buy it if it all checks out (after firing it, etc.)? Or should I hold out for a Beretta or Browning Gold (for more money, as far as I can tell)?

If it is indeed a Winchester Super X grab it!
The super X is the auto equivalent of the Model 12 pump. It was basically hand made, well at least hand fitted, and has an excellent reputation.

There is a gentleman on Shotgun Sports bulletin board who goes under the name rjbsuperx1@aol.com. I believe he sells parts for the guns and is well versed on this particular gun. If you go to the board and ask him, he may be able to give you more information on the gun.

www.shotgunsports.com

Go the the shotgun talk group and look for his tag. Or just ask if anyone is familiar with the Super X, he will most definitely answer.

Hope this helps.

Geoff Ross

[This message has been edited by K80Geoff (edited January 25, 2000).]

Back