skeet shooting information

JoeSF

Where can I find information as to what constitutes a good gun for skeet shooting? Is 12 gauge better than 20, over under vs pump, models and makes? I don't know anything about this sport and my wife wants to learn and so do I. Any advice form the members is appreciated. Thank you.

Try searching "skeet" on this site and I believe you will find a couple of explanations of the game.

Another site worth trying is:

http://www.shotgunsports.com/talkgrou.htm

As for guns and gauges, the game is shot with all gauges but 12 would be the most popular with 20 a close second. For a beginner, I would suggest a semi-auto or over/under because of the need for a quick second shot on doubles. That's not to say that skeet can't be shoot with a pump but I think it's better to focus on your shooting than having to remember to pump the gun between shots. Because the distances are short, skeet is shot with open chokes. Your gun should either have open fixed chokes or interchangeable choke tubes.

The most common over/unders I see are Berettas and Brownings with some Rugers and SKB. In semis, the favorites seem to be the Remington 1100 or Beretta 390-391. All of them are good guns. Find the one that feels and fits you best.

Back