Skeet Range

TomADC

I've been grousing because my skeet range was shut down few years back and here in San Diego County there wasn't another one except a private club to shoot at. That left only 5 Stand or Trap that's okay but I'm a skeet guy. I just found out that Camp Pendleton has a skeet range and I'm eligible to use it.
Driving out there next week to see what is required to bring shotgun on base if anything.
I'm a family camper again, also one of the new members in our RV club wants to start also.:)

Hell yeah! I love skeet, not good at it, but love it.

I'm going to try sporting clays soon, our clays park has 22 stations or something like that. They call it "golf with a gun" they even have cart rentals if you don't want to walk the course.

We have wobble trap, upland trap, 5 stand as well. And only 35 minutes from my house.

We used to have a great set up at two different locations one was the old Winchester club that had sat for years then a fellow leased it and we had Trap, Skeet, 5 stand and sporting clays, came time to renew the lease and some anti got a hold of the woman that owned the property and claimed the ground was covered in lead and ruined, big lie of course, Chip really kept the plasce up to sniff. I belonged to Miramar Skeet/trap for years later changed to San Diego Shotgun Sports, then the Marines took the base over and a retired general didn't like the club claimed lead outside our area closed us down, even Duncan Hunter couldn't help us change their minds.

Lemon Grove doesn't have Skeet, this thread is about skeet in San Diego County.
Lemon Grove is a nice place to shoot.
Hope this didn't sound rude, wasn't meant to be, just wanted to stay on subject.

Last edited:
If it helps I do pattern my shotguns. :D
The P2K range is good also plus they have rifle & pistol ranges some indoors.
South Bay Rod and Gun has Trap and are talking of adding skeet. They also have hi power rifle, muzzle loaders, and two pistol ranges.

Last edited:
If you want to make a few days out of it, there is an RV park at Lake O'Neil which is only about a 5 minute drive from the skeet range on Pendleton, if you're eligible to get on the range you should be eligible to camp.

Rob, that's a nice park also, I've been on the base numerous times just didn't know about the skeet range there. I'm in Chula Vista not that bad of a drive.

Was just talking with my son last night. He's on Camp Pendleton now. He goes out to the skeet/trap range, maybe once a week. they're open 1000hrs to 1630hrs. Wednesday thru Sunday. No problem bringing your shotgun on the base.

Let me know when you're going to be there. If I'm ( US Air Force, Retired, '62 thru '83) in the area, and my son is free, we might be able to join you, for a round or two, and to let you know, how proud we are of you:) , for overcoming, all those years in Navy.:):):)l

http://.mccscpwww.com/shoot/

Last edited:
Bake I'll do that!
BTW I see the US Air Force has a ship now!

navy-af.jpg

I believe, that's (the) Base Lake at Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota.:):):) In fact it looks like the summer time (15 Jul. thru 30 Jul.).:):):)

I was dirt radio repair (Ground Radio Communications) SLF,HF,VHF,& UHF radio, Plus anything else no one wanted to work on...:cool::cool::cool:Oh, and we were issued cool sunglasses:)

Last edited:
Bake you ever do one of the other ranges in the area? P2K, SBRG or Lemon Grove? No skeet but 5 stand & trap.

BTW forgot earlier thank your son for me for his service and your's also.

No, I retired in Texas, and was head home to Seattle, when we stopped up here in Merced to visit the In-Laws. Biggest mistake I made in a long time, 20+ years later, I never got out of here.

The only reason I go down to Oceanside is to see my Son, his Wife, and my:) Grand Daughter:). The wives go shopping, and the son & I checkout the gun shops around there. In fact, I found my NIB 12ga. Model 12 w/o box:) down there. Plus there are a couple of cigar shops down there that are worth "Checking Out". I've got COPD so bad now, I don't smoke cigars anymore, but I still love the smell:o. I've had to mount a rod holder, a gun rack, and shell holder to my walker.:cool:

I was a heavy cigar smoker on active duty, but tapered off during civilian life.
Would like to score a cuban Cohiba cigar when we do our cruise in the fall.
Still have a humidor full of cigars but don't smoke very often.

BTW forgot earlier thank your son for me for his service and your's also.

Thanks are not required. It was a honor, and besides in 1962, my Draft Card had me down as "1-A".:) For my Son, I wanted his sorry (20 year old) ass out of the house. :mad: :mad:

Back