SKB Orvis Green Mountain Uplander

Eric M.

I have a question for you folks.
I just aquired a Orvis 555 Green Mountain Uplander 12 ga. shotgun with the straight English stock.
On the barrel it says Model 505 made by new SKB, Japan.

I figured that it was worth around $500.00. New, they sold for a tad over $900.00.

On some gun boards however, I'm seeing them sold for over $1200.00, and one dealer is asking over $1400.00. This dealer has a picture of it, and it is the exact gun that I have.

My question to you people is, did I just get a great deal, or am I seeing things wrong?

Thanks for anything that you can give me on this.

I don't plan on selling it anytime soon, because I plan on hunting this gun for many years.

Eric

If you paid $500 you got a great deal. A lot of what were once common SxS shotguns have gone up in price since the SxS market has shrunk. Winchester 23s that sold for the $500 range are commonly over $2,000 now. My BSS Sporter 20 I bought for $460 out the door and it is worth $1,800 easy, and they were going for $2,400 before the fall. The SKBs are well regarded guns even if they don't have the lure of a big name, and most handle quite well, although the 20s are much more in demand now than the 12s. Good job.

It's amazing how some guns go down in price, and some go through the ceiling.

Like I said, I don't plan on selling this gun anytime soon, and I am happy to have an over and under again. {Years ago, I sold my two Browning Super Lights} I'm tired of lugging my Browning BPS Upland Special in the woods. It's about as heavy as a cannon.

Thanks for the information.

Eric

It is in excellent condition. Some bluing wear in a couple of spots on the receiver from handling, but that is about it.
I know that this gun has been taken care of like a baby.

It had a different recoil pad so I took it off and manufactured one. The gun was a tad too long for me for hunting with heavy cloths in Northern Minnesota, so instead of cutting the stock and ruining the value, I made what is not much more than a butt plate out of some 3/8" cherry wood. Painted black, it looks great, and fits perfectly for me.

Eric

Back