Sizing cast bullets with a case sizing die

45flaco

I need a 0.378 to 0.380" sizing die for 375 H&H cast bullets, to crimp on gas checks. Lee does not make a push through die in this size, and I'm not feeling like buying a whole press and accessories just for sizing one bullet, so no lyman lubesizer.

I was thinking that a 357 magnum resizing die might actually work, as base diameter of the 357 cartridge is 0.379". I have a set, and was wondering if anyone has tried this. Probably won't be push through, but I could use a wood dowel where the decapping pin goes, to push them back out.

Does anyone here make a custom sizing die? I would prefer that, if possible.
Thanks

I believe Lee will make you a custom die. Send them an e-mail.

[Edit to add]You could also buy the .357 or .358 bullet sizing die and have a local machine shop ream it to whatever ID you want.

My Lyman lubrisizer I paid 40 bucks for. A die is like 10. For 50 bucks im all set up, 4 bolts and it's off the bench and you can put it in a corner. How much would getting a custom die be? Probably at least 50. If you're want to use what you got, give it a go. Worst case is you get one stuck. But instead of buying a tool to "make do" when you could also just as easily and cheaply get the right tool seems a bit silly. But I haven't looked to see what they go for, and, I get it, sometimes 40 bucks is 40 bucks you don't have.

Plus... You'll probably end up getting one anyway.

Edit: Lyman 45's are going for about 100 on eBay. I got mine from a small local gun show about 2 years ago, in rough, but working, condition

Back