Size or number?

bu-bye

I know that this has been posted before but I can't find the topic and really want to know what you guys think.

There is a sound in your home late at night. Would you rather have 7 rounds of 357 mag or 18 rounds of 9mm. Speed clips and extra mags are on your night stand but take up a hand if you want to take them with you.

This is my situation. 18 rounds in the glock or 7 in the revo. My wife feels that late at night with low light it would be better to have more just incase you missed. On the other hand a 357 packs a much bigger punch and just feels good in the hand. I do have a 12g 870 pump in the safe across the room but I don't want to take it out everytime I go to inspect a sound. Now if I know someone is down there the "Big Dog" will be coming out to eat.:D

What are your thoughts?

Personal choice. Take what you feel most comfortable with and what you can use without a second thought.

If you can't bring the weapon to bear and stop the target, it doesn't matter how many rounds you do or don't have.

IMO the revo would be the optimum choice. If the wife hears shooting, she can back you up with the Glock until you can get the shotgun.

Inside mi casa I'd go with the 9mm due to less muzzle blast, noise, and penetration. The higher capacity and quick reload wouldn't hurt either, just in case.

I think you should fire both in a low-light condition (safely of course), and figure out which one blinds you the least. Then I would pick that one.

Either one will do but you really want to add a high-powered, compact flashlight (read: SureFire) to your nightstand. It helps you to identify targets, distracts the ones that need shooting and allows you to get hits in low-light conditions with more ease.

7 rounds of .357 or 18 rounds or 9mm? The 9mm would be my choice because of the ability to put more rounds on target in a shorter amount of time (less recoil). More rounds impacting the nipple-sternal notch triangle faster equals higher survivability for the defender engaging the Bad Guy.

As for missed rounds, .357 or 9mm will go through interior structure walls easily and it doesn't do much to solve the problem. Perfect practice makes perfect.

I hope things are laid out in your home where you know your way around in total darkness. Kids? They are squared away?

Those things considered, I would take the shotgun, and skip the flashlight. My Mossy has MMC tritium night sights. I will never be convinced that the flashlight is not just providing a perfect aiming point for the other guy. The most vocal advocates of flashlights are those selling them, or selling the use of them.

I will never be convinced that the flashlight is not just providing a perfect aiming point for the other guy.
I'm hard headed that way too. Your night vision goes away very quickly with white light, and why give away your position while an invader is trying to figure out what the darker objects in your home are?

Your light should be in his eyes, and if you aren't using it, how exactly have you determined whether he's a threat?

Mannlicher, I understand where you're coming from about the use of flashlights but I differ strongly in my advocacy of them. Training and an understanding of employment of the flashlight is the key here.

In low light conditions, you need to be able to identify the target that you're shooting as a threat. Shooting at shadows is irresponsible and you lose nothing by way of tactical advantage when you use a high-powered light to take their night vision. That would be a definite gain.

lights

pbarrick-
Well said Patrick. You always need a positive ID of what your shooting at. The target could be your teenage kid sneaking back in the house, too afraid of getting into trouble and not responding to your calls. Flashlights do ruin night vision, but proper training and knowledge of them will aid your tactical response. Just my humble opinion.

45R

Are there other "colors" of lights that would be good to have and would not blind the carrier of the light?

A buddy of mine said something about a blue prism type light. Would that gain you anything? Or are we OK with the standard MAGlight type lamp?

Actually, I think Blackhawk hit the nail on the head on this one! ;) ...

Besides, if it makes her feel safer, isn't THAT an important part of this equation?

As far as answering your question ....

Well, I don't have the answer. I've asked myself this very question more than a few nights before retiring. My answer has varied, as the weapon left out for the duty has varied from a small revolver to a large capacity pistol. Sometimes it's the office weapon, and then sometimes it's one of mine ... A few times toward the end of last year it was a rifle...

Let me know when you have the answer, will ya? :)

Back