size matters

SEAN WILLIAMS

Vang Comp, poly choke, screw-in chokes? what would be ideal for a (dual purpose hd or if in a pinch, hunting) 20 inch 7 shot Mossberg 500-A. opinions, results, thoughts, insights, whatever... Thanks.

IMHO, the Vang system is the best out of the ones that you mention. That said, it is the most expensive option and will also take your gun out of commission during installation (you gotta ship Hans the barrel). Both Gabe Suarez and John Farnam give good marks to the Vang system.

Farnam also recommends the Patternmaster choke tube. This is probably the second best alternative -- if your barrel can take screw-in chokes, all you gotta do is order the choke and you're set. Use of Foster slugs is unaffected, but don't use Brenneke or sabots with the Patternmaster (not a big deal, all "tactical" slugs are Fosters). Cost is around $50-80 for the standard tube -- avoid the ported tubes for defense use.

One of them also mentions the polychoke but I forget which one. In any case, I think that instructor's opinion of the polychoke was a positive one.

The old tried and true choke for defense purposes (and the cheapest, since it usually comes with the gun!) is the cylinder bore. You want uniformity of your buckshot pattern, the cylinder choke will give it to you. Make sure you pattern your defensive load at the usual A, B and C zones so you know what kind of pattern you'll get when the balloon goes up.

Unfortunately, using conventional constriction (i.e., modified, full chokes) on a defensive gun usually does not help buckshot patterns. The chokes cause pellet deformation and therefore lead to erratic patterns.

HTH,

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

I concur on the VangComp system. WELL worth the money. My 870 was only down for 4 days while Hans did the work. The patterns are great ( 9 pellet 00 buck 1 inch spread at 7 yards...) I have heard of guys shooting trap with an 870 18 inch Cyl bore that has been VangComped and hitting 25 out of 25.
The great thing about Vang is there is nothing to break or maintain... recoil seems to have been cut by 25+%, Muzzle rise and flash have been all but eliminated. I have heard of more than one PatternMaster shooting loose and ending up downrange.

Cheap at twice the price when you think of the improvement... that's why so many special operators like the system.

Ben

Is there any appreciable loss in power from Vang Comping? I'm guessing that the answer is 'no,' and its not like a 12 ga 3" round doesn't have power to spare...just checking, as I'm probably going to have this done to my next 870.

Mike

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

practice practice practice.

spend $200 on your shotgun and $200 on birdshot. Learn to bust some clays.

THEN worry about aftermarket do-dads and add-ons.

all of the factory -made geegaws you can possibly put on a shotgun won't amount to a hill of beans if you aren't completely familiar with your weapon.

My 2¢

Dr.Rob

Very true. I agree completely...but I still think he (and I) have valid questions.

;)

Mike

PS I tend to NOT favour extra doo-dads on guns, because the violate the KISS principle and if you're not careful they can make you think you need less practice than you do.

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

Back