Size Comparison............

Bob Wright

Just for kicks, a size comparison of a Ruger Super Blackhawk, a Single Six, and a Bearcat:

And, the cylinders:

Bob Wright

very nice Bob. how does that bearcat fit in larger hands, i've been thinking of picking one up for teaching my great neices and great nephews, ages well they are young now but soon.....

i have the big hands, them not so much.

My own observation is that a Ruger Single Six or a Uberti Stallion would be the better choice. Either of these two revolvers are small enough for young hands, and the Bearcat is a tad too small. Very small handguns are too easily swung around in a dangerous direction in young, inexperienced hands.

My hands are not large, but loading the Bearcat requires a little care in thumbing the rounds into the chambers.

Bob Wright

How does the Single Six compare with the standard Blackhawk? I have a Single Six and like the size, and have been wanting a Blackhawk, but haven’t even gotten around to handling one in a store yet. Actually, what I’d really like is one of the new flat top convertible Blackhawks with a 5.5” barrel.

The Super Blackhawk and Blackhawk are built on the same frames. Blackhawks have aluminum alloy grip frames and ejector rod housings, but are the same size as the Super Blackhawk. The Flat Tops are built on the mid size frame for the .357 and .44 Special, large frames for the .44 Magnum, .45 Colt and .41 Magnum; not sure if there is a .30 Carbine Flat Top.

The mid size frames are much like the Colt SAA or New Frontier in size and handling.

Maybe so I'm an oddball, but I do prefer the XR-3 RED grip frames of the bigger Blackhawks over the smaller XR-3 grip frames.

(I know, I know! The XR-3 duplicates the Colt, but I'm not all that fond of that grip, either. Especially with stout loads.)

Bob Wright

Back