Size comparison, LCR vs. Kimber k6s

I don't own either but the available specifications reveal that the Kimber is lots bigger and heavier than the Ruger.

I used to own the LCR but I hated it since the shape didn't suit my hand. Recoil would smack my thumb base. At the time, there weren't too many options for grips so I sold it off.

Before you say I can't handle a Magnum, I have to show you my revolvers:

de0e9f68dd553044a9e58b1ede2706fd.jpg

I reload for all of them.

Here's my 454 Casull Snubby:

226cdc47848825de914c1c50d10ba92f.jpg

I ended up getting the 23 Oz S&W 640 since the shape suited me better. Here is a side by side of the S&W with my Kimber K6S:
1b0f00fe0c764dc727781b4e7afb7dca.jpg

Some say it's as big as an SP101 but I disagree. It's thinner. The grips are better, as is the trigger and sights.

Here's a 7 yard group but at 10 yards, it's identical:

5643eb76452df4e60b3a4f4ddeddba3c.jpg

It is still smaller than my Ruger Alaskan:

ff8d05b254a6d11605a6ff32ec1a5c60.jpg

All joking aside, if you want to handle a heavy 357 Magnum load, then the Kimber (24 oz) or the S&W (23 oz) will be better than a polymer LCR 357 (15 oz).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The Kimber is ever so slightly larger than my J frame 342. I don't really notice a size difference when carrying as the Kimber will fit in many of the same holsters (Galco Stow and Go) that I have for the Jframe. The big difference is the weight.

I don't have an LCR, but I have the Kimber. I would definitely rather shoot magnums from the Kimber than the Ruger

Gnystrom and CDR Glock, I am thinking of buying the Kimber 6 for my daughter. How is the recoil on it?

CDR Glock, I have family members that recently moved to Colorado. They hike and camp a lot. While I have read the last known grizzly in Colorado was over 20 years ago, there appears there have been many black bears encounters in the area. The family members carry bear spray, but I believe they should have some other last resort response.

With that said, the Ruger Alaskan seems to be a solution. I read the 454 Casull is probably too much caliber for their situation. Plus, I read the recoil prevents really practicing with it beyond 20 or so rounds due to the pain. In addition, I read the recoil makes it harder and longer to follow up with a second shot. What is your experience? I'm leaning toward the .44 mag that has less recoil, easier follow shots and can shoot .44 specials.

I don't mean to hijack this thread....

The Kimber weight in at 23oz so it doesn't have a lot of felt recoil but I would be very careful what loads I would choose for any protection against bears. Something from Buffalo Bore in their hardcast heavy bullets would be marginal at best. The Kimbers six shots is an advantage but if it were me I would look toward a S&W 686+ (seven rounds .357)or even better, something in the short barreled 44mag which would give you the option of 44 special for practice. S&W just came out with the Mod.69 which is 2-3/4 inches, five shot, in 44mag but is is really a handful of recoil but some aftermarket grips may help in that respect. Another option is a Ruger single action in 44 mag/44sp.
As often said before, If it is a grizzly attack, shoot four and save the last one for yourself.

The .357 LCR is 17 oz, but still didn't have any problem shooting the heaviest 180 load in it.

Well, that makes you more of a man than just about anyone I know. I'm impressed. I would never shoot a full powder Magnum, even with lighter bullets, in a revolver that light in weight. Control for quick follow-up shots would be nonexistent. Real Magnums in my 386 Nughtguard are painful in my aging, arthritic hands.

Dave

Control for quick follow-up shots would be nonexistent.

If you watch the clip, you will see that the gun does rise, but comes right back down for the next shot in a controlled manner. I was shooting slow for demonstration purposes.

And I'm not even a big guy, just the same size as Bruce Lee!:D

Thanks for getting back gnystrom. I would be looking at buying both the Kimber 6 and Ruger Alaskan for different reasons. In what I have read, the .357 is way under power for a bear.

The 4-3-1 rule for bear makes sense. At minimum a caliber starting with a 4; at minimum using a 300 gr bullet; giving at minimum 1000 foot pounds. I believe the Buffalo Bore Heavy .44 Mag + P will be sufficient against black bears or mountain lions.

I was hoping to get feedback on the 454 Casull and its recoil and handling as well.

HVR, from what I have read, both. I have read about a few exceptions. However, since they will be in bear territory, I believe their "plan B" after bear spray needs to be proven and reliable or at least giving the best chance to eliminate any attack or injury. For me, 4-3-1 makes sense. I have read for grizzlies even a 454 Casull may be under powered.

Since Colorado only has black bears and since I read the 454 Casull is hard to control and is hard to recover from the first shot's recoil fast enough for the second shot, I was thinking the Ruger Alaskan .44 Mag would be a great solution.

I was hoping to hear from someone who has experience with the Alaskan 454 Casull and the Alaskan .44 Mag.

Well, I don't have grizzly around here, but we do have black bears, and the last one sighted was fairly large, although most CA black Bears are less than 600 pounds. I've seen some mountain lions that look pretty big as well.
But I have down graded from a .454 Alaskan to my .357 LCR with Buffalo Bore 180 grain loaded in it. I feel that always carried is better than sometimes carried, and the Alaskan was a BEAR to carry!LOL:D:D:D:D:D

Well, stopped in at my not so local gs and they had a Kimber K6s in stock, so I got to hold one. I asked the clerk to pull out a Ruger LCR and was able to compare them side by side.
They are fairly close in size, except for the cylinder on the Kimber being a little wider than the LCR of course, but the length, and height were very close.
Beautiful machining and well made, nice lines, I like the rounded corners.
Will have to save up to get one though!

Back