Six months 'til hunting season

BlackJack

Any muzzle-loader hunters on here? I'm planning to get into muzzle loading just so I can get out into the WMAs before the general gun hunters. I've looked at a lot of guns, both in-line and traditional patch & ball. It sounds like both could do the job on a deer. I'm pretty much down to deciding between a traditions in-line and a thompson hawken rifle, both in .50 cal. Any experience from this learned board would be appreciated. Tks in advance. Jack

And while you're deciding on that, you hve time to fix blinds or stands, check on all your gear, and just generally get everything sorted out and cleaned from last season.

Who sez there ain't nuthin' to do between seasons?

:D, Art

Blackjack and everyone I am just so happy that TFL is up and running again. I didn't know how to act those days while it was down....

It is about 8 months until I get to muzzle load hunt. I cannot wait. I still have that deer hunting on the brain. I guess the reason i am ready to go is I had a pretty good season on the deer in 2001. I harvested 3 with the muzzleloader and one with the 30.06... Years ago i bought my first muzzleloader. It was a Thompson Center .50 CAL hawken. Yea it would shoot through the same hole out to a ceratin distance. I carried that heavy thing around in the mountains and never got to shoot at any deer with it. I guess i changed my luck in 1999 and got in on a good deer lease and bought my first in line muzzleloader. I got the thompson center black diamond in the stainless. I put a scope on it and it was on from there. I did shoot one deer at 80 yards that year and got three with it in 2001. Each time the deer fell where they were standing. Those 240 gr. HP bullets and sabots will do the job. Another thing I like about my Black Diamond is its lighter and easier to carry than the Hawken. Ok guys I will hush.....It guess I haven't got to run my mouth in a few days and I got carried away..Good luck on your choice .... :)

Nothing like a good turkey hunt to get youstarted for deer - & that's next month. After turkeys, deer can[/] (heavily stressed) be a cake walk.

Any chance your front-stuffer has a switch bbl capability? MZ's are at not much handicap for the big birds .....

Back