Sitting on a log just a thinken

Remington kid

Recently I have gone back to basics and it sure makes C&B life simpler and more fun.It seems we keep getting more and more caught up in the "special lube's ", special wads, Lube pills , special oils, bad lubes , bad oils, bad grease , good grease and my favorite...."Shooting black powder is just to much work because you have to clean them all the time" Always sounds like a lazy guy to me. Now we offer Windex, Break cleaner, Soap and water, Peroxide, Simple green, Oil and water, spit juice, Camel urin, goat urin, your urin...well, you get what I mean :) A little soap and water is all that's needed.
The paper that came with the 50-51 Colt basically said ...Fill chamber with powder, leave enough room for ball, ram ball down on powder, place cap's on cylinder and go shoot.... Sounds to simple don't it? Guess what, it's supposed to be that way. OK, OK, we all know that we have to make sure the chambers are clean and the nipple holes are dry and open and the barrel is clean but this all just common sense stuff.
Anyway, I went back to basics for my Cap and ball guns and I'm glad I did. Just pour in 25g of powder , seat the ball, use a little crisco or grease over the ball, cap it and shoot...Simple and it shoots soooooo good.
Sitten on a log yesterday, picked out a stump about 30 yards away and the size of a gallon jug at the bottom of the hill, Hit that stump with my 1851 .36 4 out of 6 times. I like going back to basics:)

It's just like anything else in life, which I'm sure you know, you can make it as simple or as complicated as you want to. The main thing is to have fun with it and it sounds like you are. :)

On one of my computers at work I have my background set as the picture of my newly antiqued 58 sitting on the target I shot recently with all 12 in the black at 25 yards. That's gotten some curiosity stirred up with people at work about BP pistols and one question I always get is "aren't those a lot of trouble to clean?" It's all in how you look at it I guess. To some people, it is a lot of trouble to clean a BP pistol. But these same ones probably think it's a lot of trouble to clean their modern guns too. I know some people who have shot hundreds of rounds out of modern rifles and never cleaned them. When they start having problems from them, they just sell them and buy something else. :(

To me, cleaning the guns is a part of the fun, and especially so for my 58's. I also find that some people are kind of scared of BP pistols just because they don't know anything about them firsthand and are relying on information they heard from someone else. There is a lot of bad information out there that comes from inexperience and sometimes just laziness. Sometimes we get caught up in making things more complicated than they need to be, or should be.

Sometimes simpler is better, and more fun! :D

Well said Both ya!.
I'm planning on having a boatload of fun Sunday at the CAS match. I'll be shooting C & B and the Converted one in the same stages. I even looked at the SASS rules and the one class allows C & B or Conversions if you shoot BP. I also found I qualify for the Senior class, not that I like that designation. LOL

I will load 30 grns, ball and use Mikes lube over the ball and lube the bejeebers out of the cylinder pin and cylinder. same with the conversion. so I'll have a good test of how far I can go without binding. I'll have 3 Cylinders for the C & B
and lots of cartridges for the conversion. I think I can go 5 stages with just a wipedown between cylinders on the C & B

Now if the weather just cooperates. It's supposed to rain and snow above 4,000 ft here Sat into Sunday morning. If the snow level drops to 3000 ft. we may not be able to get into the range. It is 1 1/2 miles back a Forest service road that I would not take my car on. hopefully, the storm will pass north or south of us.

BTTB is the way to go.

Good luck OD! The only reason they have seniors class is not because were getting old, it's because we are so much better than the snot nosed wantabe cowboy kids:D You know, the youngens that are 55 and under.

Back