Sistema Colt Modelo 1927 now to prepare myself for a Kimber. Absurd or reasonable?

old_yout

I slammed my fingers in my car door today, which for some reason got me to thinking about muscle reflex and the possiblity that I might not think to release the safety on a 1911. Which also got me to thinking that it would be a pity to lay down $800 dollars on a nice, new Kimber and then realise that cocked and locked is not for me.
So I thought I might get a practice 1911, for want of a better word. Being that I appreciate antiques and things historical and vintage, I was thinking about getting one of these Argentinian Colt 1911s for a reasonable $300. I've read over posts concerning these weapons and they seem to be fairly well regarded.
What do you think of my plan? Is is just silliness? Would I be better off getting another 1911 style pistol or should I just go ahead and get the Kimber and run the risk of having a pricey range gun?
Thanks

I'm a minimumist.....

so I'd vote for the Systema Colt now. You can shoot the pistola, learn what changes you really want to make and then pick the Kimber/Rock River/Springfield/Wilson/Baer/etc you want.

I agree with Jim V. Get the beater now. Find out if you like cocked & locked (and 1911's in general).

If you don't like it, you can almost certainly sell it for what you paid, then apply toward the next one.

I have a Kimber and a Sistema 1927. IMO, the Sistema is hard to beat for the $299 that I paid for it, it looks like a new gun. Spend the extra $20 at http://www.cruffler.com and take the selected one, it's worth it. BTW, I love my Kimber, but it also cost more than twice what the Sistema did...

If you can get a Colt-made 1927 for a reasonable price, buy it. Enjoy an all steel, all forged, all milled pistol and forget the Kimber.

Jim

The Sistema 1927 is a Colt licensed copy, and they were originally made on purchased Colt equipment. If you can dry-fire a Colt 1911, I suspect that the Sistema would not have a problem with it. :)

I think going that route is a great idea. Not only do you get a feel for it you want the 1911 type pistols, it is a great pistol to do modifications on.

You might consider some of the easier modifications that will immediately make a difference, such as extended safeties, slide releases, Commander type hammer, and Sear. All these mods are easily done by the average user.

I think you will be well pleased. I bought an Argentenian FM Hi Power for the same purpose and am pleased.

Good Shooting
RED

I've got both the Sistema and the Colt. Both are incredible bargains. All I did was buy a Wolff extra-power recoil and firing pin spring, and they shoot like a champ. Ain't no match gun by a long shot, but they are extreamly reliable.

Back