Single six question

spawndn72

I have a new to me flat gate single six. The serial number dates it to 1956.
Shoots great but I am having trouble getting the cylinder out. I put the hammer into the 3rd position, open the loading gate and then remove the base pin. The cylinder will start to come out, but then it seems to hang on something and refuses to come out.

Any ideas? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

I have one ten years younger from 1968 that does not have a flat gate.

With mine you have to have the hammer in half cock, which is the second position not third as that would be fully cocked.
It will not hold the hammer in position at the third click.

You also need to begin to rotate the cylinder slightly as you push it out.

I'm sure that you've done that, but just in case I'm throwing it out there.

Thanks, I have tried turning it as you remove it, but it only comes out about halfway. Then it just gets stuck on something and won't budge any further to the right. It does allow you to continue turning the cylinder but to no avail.Pic below

37663010831_d2fc45b184_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_1678 by Todd, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a problem. From memory, mine gets caught and I have to move it down towards the trigger slightly to clear something and then it comes out. It isn't much though and doesn't take any pressure, but I think you probably would have tried this already.

Figured out what is wrong. There is a little divot in the ejector rod housing that the cylinder is hanging on. I guess I need to get a small file and file the bump down a little. See pick below

23810155368_028750805f_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_1680 by Todd, on Flickr[/IMG]

Yes, looks like something hit the ejector rod housing and caused a little divot.
The divot left a burr projecting into the cutout in the frame. The cylinder was hanging on that burr.

Back