single shot

Bucksnort1

When I was a kid, just a couple of years ago, my father owned a single shot 22 handgun. It opened like a shotgun and it had an octagonal barrel of about 7 inches in length. He had a long all leather holster for it but I don't remember if it was a shoulder or waist holster. When we returned from Germany, 1949, Dad was assigned as a recruiting officer in Waco, TX. We rented an old home that had a resident population of rats in the back yard. I remember Dad, at night with a flashlight, shooting rats.

Does anyone have any clue as to the identity of this handgun?

Based on its having an octagonal barrel, it might have been a German target pistol, maybe even a "parlor pistol (a much overused term) of 6mm. Any further guesses will require more information.

Jim

James K,

Now that you mention Germany, you may be right in its origin. I believe Dad, as he said about his sporterized 8X57 Mauser, probably liberated it while we were in Germany from '46 to '49. When we returned to the states, he traded the handgun, his rabbit ear 12 ga. side-by-side shotgun and another sporterized 8X57 for a more modern shotgun. Thanks.

SS 22 pistol

From what you describe there is a good chance it was a Stevens. Look up the
Stevens offhand line of pistols, sometimes called trappers pistols. I use to have
several in 22 and 2 in 25 rf Stevens. They came in several barrel lengths and
cals.

If the gun remembered by the OP had a full octagon barrel, it would probably not have been a Stevens; they had half octagon barrels, but I don't recall that any were full octagon.

Jim

SS 22

James is right,Stevens were not full Oct. and Hawes copy was same as Stevens,
back was oct. Then round.

^ That's a low blow and is not good sportsmanship. The Baby Jesus don't like that.

OP, if you find your pistol, please let us know! I'd love to have a single shot .22 target pistol.

single shot 22, but not octagonal or break style. This is single shot 22 bolt action. Different models of the same gun sold under the names Crickett and Chipmunk.
I have one in walnut, the Crickett model is lighter weight. Lots of fun! Price $149-$210

http://www.crickett.com/crickett_22_pistol.php
pistol.jpg

http://www.chipmunkrifles.com/chipmunk_22_pistol.php
pistolwalnut_both.jpg

The TC 10 inch 22LR barrel on my TC Contender 1 has 6 sides I think, and not sure when TC came out with the Contender. Of course many other folk have made barrels for the TC single shots since the barrels interchange.

Thompson Center Arms came out with the Contender line in 1967 if I am not mistaken, and yes it was available in an 10 inch octagonal 22 rimfire barrel.
It is also a break action, like a shotgun.

Back