single shot rifle that will shoot russian made 7.62x39mm well?

I like the ideal of the Ruger, (cheap, well made single shot rifle). I think I would choose it over the Rossi.

How ever I just can't get my mind rapped around the ideal of Steel Case Accurate Long Range ammo in a steal case, and 7.62X39 at that.

Every thing I've read, all my shooting and reloading tells me that case prep is the most important aspect in accuracy. I just don't see that in steel case ammo.

The Rossi I have won't ignite European steel cased ammo consistently. I've heard this about several of this model rifle.
Regardless, the 7.62x39 is NOT a "long range" cartridge in any type of rifle. Even the AR and bolt action rifles I've had/have in this chambering only produce top accuracy with handloaded ammo.

I get good accuracy at 200 yards with my CZ 527M and handloads - Wolf and others don't do as well for me, but I have seen pictures of targets gents have shot with the CZ 527M bolt action rifle at longer range with factory ammo.
Very cheap price for a Ruger rifle, interesting.

There is a pretty good break barrel rifle from Baikal, available in many calibers (including 7,62x39 of course). If you would consider a bolt action, take a look at the cz527

My new7.62x39 CZ527 is turning in some one inch groups with open sights. I can't wait to see how it does with a scope.

I love the single shots too. I've been hankering after a H&R in .204 for a few weeks at a local GS. That thing isn't too expensive and should shoot like a laser beam. But you can't have it all at once can you?
-SS-

Hello Sweet Shooter,,,

That thing isn't too expensive and should shoot like a laser beam.

I dunno if a laser beam is how I would describe my two H&R rifles,,,
Perhaps in that .204 chambering they very well might be,,,
But mine were inexpensive and shoot very well.

The Sportster in .22 LR is a one hole gun at 50 yards,,,
The Handi-Rifle in .357 Magnum is minute of armadillo at 75 yards.

Aarond

@cajun47... I have shot a lot of Russian stuff lately in 7.63 x39 and I am actually quite impressed with it. I see no reason that the .223 wouldn't be just as good. The only thing I have noticed is that I get a bit more copper fouling from it and cleaning is a bit of a pain. With a single shot I don't see that being an issue. I have taken to leaving the GunSlick Foaming Bore Cleaner in there longer and dragging bigger patches through on a bootlace—need to be careful doing this and it comes with lots of practice, don't think I'd try it on a 223.
The 204 H&R I had my eye on had a bull barrel on it... I think it will shoot well.
-SS-

I'm 99% certain the rifle in the OP is a Russian Baikal.

Dear H&R,

Please make a Handi-Rifle chambered for 7.62x54R

Thank you,
Rampant Colt

Back