Single shot Rifle choices

davem

Something to hunt buffalo. Actually, do you "hunt" buffalo or "shoot" buffalo?
ANYHOW....There's a place nearby with original Springfield trapdoors for around $700 that look okay but as I understand the trapdoor can't be loaded hot. They are also the long infantry model that I don't think was used much by folks on a horse. Then there is the Sharps and the Rolling Block. Is one easier to clean and maintain than the other? If anyone has owned or shot both- which do you prefer? :cool:

I love the classic look of a sharps, and love the feel, and how nice the set triggers can be adjusted. Accurate they are but the action is fragile and can easily be damaged if not properly handled and cared for.

The Reming Rolling Block is a good design. Solid and accurate and can be as equally pleasant to shoot. The rolling block would be my preferred gun to hunt with. The sharps for me is merely a target or collectors piece.

The Springfield trapdoors were built to be used with black powder cartridge loads. Although smokeless powder loads can be loaded for this gun smokeless powder loads need to be kept low in pressure and velocity so you don't damage the gun or harm yourself or others. If you are to hunt with it then go with what the standard 45-70 black powder load would be and you ought to be fine.

I don't own any but a friend owns a trapdoor and another the sharps and rolling block. I've fired all three and these are merely my thoughts on what little experience I have on these guns.

I own all three and have had several of the Sharps and High Walls. My vote goes to the Sharps. I've shot several deer with them using very light loads duplicating the original black powder velocities. I have yet to retrieve even one bullet out of any of them. Most buffalo shot with those loads were complete pass throughs. FWIW, the Sharps are capable of incredible accuracy if loaded right.

A buffler won't care what kills him. Be it a 405 cast out of a Trapdoor or a 500 grain jacketed out of a Sharps.
$700 for an original TD seems a bunch light to me. Cost you more than that for a repro. Cabela's has Pedersoli Sharps' rifles on sale starting at a grand right now.

Back