Single Shot Recommendations

ckpj99

So I'm looking to buy a simple single shot break barrel in 12 or 20 gauge for casual skeet and shotgun range shooting. Ideally, I'd like something with interchangeable chokes because I'm new at this and I'm not sure if I want a wider pattern or something like a tighter improved choke. But, I'm not super picky about that.

I'd obviously like a side by side or over and under, but I don't think my budget will permit it. I only do this type of shooting 7 or 8 times a year, so I just can't justify a huge expense.

That said, I'd like a decent gun. I usually buy used, so I won't have an unlimited selection.

Anything I should look for? Ideally, I'm looking to spend less than $250. Any brands to avoid, or super common guns that would be up for the task.

Not sure how the doubles are handled in skeet with a single shot. I guess you just fail to hit one.
I should add that I tried this same scheme with poor results. I tried an H&R Topper and I had a part break and a piece fall out in the grass locking up the action during a round of trap. I also bought and tried an import. I think it was a Remington Baikal shotgun. During shooting, I noticed a long wire hanging out of the muzzle. Upon inspection, I found the choke tube drilled or bored & threaded off center and I was shooting the choke tube out of the barrel. I never had any good scores until I bought a used Browning Citori O/U for $900. That's when I began to ace some rounds while having scores in the twenties. My previous best scores were in the low or mid teens. A low cost shotgun never did me any good. If you don't care about the score, then it's no concern. I even tried a Stoeger coach gun and never had such a black & blue shoulder. Never try that again.

Last edited:
Gun/$250

For $250 you are l most probably going to be looking at either a new NEF/H&R single barrel or you will be in the used market.
I would look at the used guns. Last time that I looked at my LGS there were a number of Ithaca model 37 pump guns for sale. A couple were at your price point. Maybe where you are also.
"Skeet" - as noted earlier.....not with a single shot unless you plan on giving up the doubles. Many people use the word "skeet" as a generic reference to casual clay bird shooting....pasture or "backyard" trap.
pete

I'm with darkgael - For $250 or less, you should be able to find a used pumpgun that will fit your limited shooting needs.

CKPJ,

Sorry, but you just don't get much from the low end guns.

I started with a pump w/ a short barrel (18") for HD, 3 Gun, and tryed Skeet. It worked well for 3 Gun, not so well for Skeet. I then got a longer barrel (26") for Skeet. The 26" worked well for Skeet and also 3Gun, but not Trap.

My first Trap gun was the same pump with a 30" fixed full choke and cardbroad & duct tape on the stock. That worked so well, that I went out and found a used (50,000 rds) Browning BT-99. Now after another 50,000 rounds, the only problem I have with it is finding it on the gun rack at matches. ( I put orange duct tape on the forearm so I can keep track of it.)

Maybe you could find a nice used pump w/ a 26" interchangeable choke barrel, and keep an eye out for extra barrels.

If you were to find a used "37","500", or "870", gave it decent care, it would last more rounds than your shoulder will.:D

Last edited:
Single shot shotguns used to be common and inexpensive. We bought Marlin bolt actions guns and Winchester break open guns. Today we don't see as many of them. You can go to a gun show and see what you can pick up.

I am a big fan of the Mossberg 500, which is no longer cheap when new, but at a gun show you might pick up one for $250 or so. I am also a fan of the old Winchester Model 59 which is light as a feather and reliable. I own one and hunt with it and like it. They too, are cheap.

Be careful when you buy a "cheap" shotgun. It might also be abused and faulty. Above all things you want a gun, all guns, to be safe to shoot and reliable. If you put $250 in your pocket and attend a gun show you'll probably get what you want, but be careful.

My first shotgun was a brand-new H&R 20ga. I could not hit a darn thing with it! Shortly after the forend fell off. I did not even bother to repair it properly, used electrical tape to hold it in place until I got a new shotgun.

My next shotgun was a used 870 Wingmaster. That gun would actually hit what I was aiming at and absolutely nothing fell off or broke. Quality wise it was day and night. So I consider the 870 my first REAL shotgun. All this took place over 30 years ago when I was a constantly broke teenager.

So the “wisdom” of this post? Get a good used pump. You might try a local pawn shop, they usually have quite a few.

Forgot to add. You can always buy a double later and depending on your use for the gun at the time will know better what you need.

Last edited:
If you are determined to get a single shot, you can usually find a used Winchester 37 around at the gun shows or shops. They made a bunch of them and they were pretty reliable. I still have one in .410 hanging over my back door and it's accounted for a few snakes and quite a few gophers in my yard. I guess if the snakes would take care of the gophers like they should I wouldn't need it anymore.

Back