Single shot questions

TruthTellers

I'm getting interested in 12 gauge single shot break action shotguns with certain features. There are two features I'm interested in, but not sure who makes them.

1. Single shot with an EJECTOR, not an extractor. Who makes single shots with an ejector for under $300.

2. Single shot that folds almost in half like this:

th

I know that Khan Arms makes the K100, but hear that quality isn't good. Would like to know if others are out there.

All single shot shotguns used to have ejectors. Don't they now.
A used single shot, in good working order should be able to buy in the $100 - $150 range.
I don't see them in gun shops anymore, but there always seems to be one at yard sales or auction sales.
Sorry, I can't help you on the folding shotgun. If you were to look in some old shooter bible books I think you could get some info on it.

I'm 69 and grew up with single shot shotguns and 22 rifles. We were deep in the Appalachian mountains and they were all we could afford. The single shot shotgun was what we used to hunt with and a tool for farmers. I always wanted a pump shotgun but didn't get one until recently. I had two old (1948 & 1950) single shotguns that I sold last summer. I inherited them years ago and they shot well but I lost interest after a couple of pumps. I recently sold them to a friend for $50 each.

I would never consider buying a new single shot shotgun since the world is full of used ones at a reasonable price and they seldom wear out if they are kept protected and dry. My Dad bought a new 16 gauge Iver Johnson around 1960 for $28.

Better concealability and easier to travel with.

But you can take a typical single shot shotgun apart and reassemble it seconds. Snap the forearm off, open it as if loading and it comes apart. It takes up less space and hides easier when it is apart.

If it were me, I'd haunt the gun shows and pawn shops to find one of the classic single-shot shotguns that used to be so common and ones that were most likely to be found under a Christmas tree as a boy's first gun; guns like the Harrington and Richardson Topper, the Winchester Model 37 or the Iver Johnson Champion. Ones in good condition can be had selling for under three hundred bucks or so.

If it were me, I'd haunt the gun shows and pawn shops to find one of the classic single-shot shotguns that used to be so common and ones that were most likely to be found under a Christmas tree as a boy's first gun; guns like the Harrington and Richardson Topper, the Winchester Model 37 or the Iver Johnson Champion. Ones in good condition can be had selling for under three hundred bucks or so.

I just sold a Harrington and Richardson Topper M48 20 gauge for $50. I put it on Virginia Gun Traders for $75 and got no responses.

I also sold a Savage 220A 16 gauge for $50.

I sold them to a friend who makes his living trading. I knew I sold them cheap but I had no need for them and didn't want to sell them to a stranger. I kept both my new and old 12 gauge pumps. I knew I would never shoot the single shots again even though they both shot and looked good.

Back