Single-shot madness

histed

After Christmas, I'm looking a buying another rifle and I've had a notion about single shots for a while. I've been looking at the Rossi W and it seems to be a take off of the TC interchangeable barrel idea. Have multiple calibers on the same platform appeals to me, as does the idea of buying new barrels (No, honey, it's the same rifle :D) Any one have it? Shot it? Comments?

Check out the cost of additional barrels before you leap. In the case of the TC's you can buy almost buy a 2nd rifle for what the barrel costs. Also its been my experience that most wives aren't gullible enough to believe a new barrel isn't a "new"rifle:):D

On a lark

Maybe check out EA Brown rifles. Pricy, but super accurate and easy to shoot well. I've been tempted for a while now.

Also its been my experience that most wives aren't gullible enough to believe a new barrel isn'ta "new"rifle
The gun store says it's not a new gun.
The government says it's not a new gun.
You don't have to sign any background check paperwork.

It is a part of a gun. I will argue that til I'm blue in the face.:D
But my wife won't believe it either:o

I love my TC Encore, so I will have to try the argument some day. I have both the TC and a Rossi. Quality goes to TC. Both are functional as hunting rifles, not competition guns though. From what I have seen there are more cartridge options for the TC as well. Get a TC if you can swing the $.

It is a part of a gun. I will argue that til I'm blue in the face.
But my wife won't believe it either

I have tried this argument with my better half, and I have figured out that stocks, grips, mags and optics count as "parts or accessories," while barrels, complete uppers, and complete lowers count as "new guns." Once I discovered that optics counted as "parts," I discovered that this is only the case if they are under about $300...

Good luck in your decision, and hopefully you end up meeting your needs for many calibers.

contender and encore

The contender and encore are fine. the contender gets the nod for weight but lacks the choices of caliber. I could do all my hunting with an encore.
I hunt with a 45-70 contender for deer and it is awesome. The encore 12 gauge is a delite to carry for turkeys.
The Rossi can be had for less than the price of a barrel on an encore.

for about 5 or 6 years i carried the ruger #1 in 270 win. then i had a stroke two years ago, and i carried this year a 6.5 creedmoor in the encore. i luv it! and you can tell it like it is, barrels are cheap. mgm, bullberry, ea brown are all great barrels. my current barrels are 6.5 cm and the 20 vartarg done by mgm barrels. the next two are 257 bob ai and 357 maximum also from mgm.
these are real rifles, even tho i really would like to shoot them as pistols. 6.5 and 20vt use 16 1/4" barrels, the next two i haven't decided on. if you want some advice, click

http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/

everybody will help!

http://matchgrademachine.com/
http://www.bullberry.com/

My Encore pro hunter is a dream to carry around and it is as accurate as most factory bolt rifles. My gunsmith touched up the trigger and it is perfect for a deer rifle.

DSCF3167.jpg

It is one of my primary prairie dog rifles too.....it all depends on what barrel is on there.....

EDL_2575.jpg

Oh that TCR is so, so sweet.

Two triggers - setting trigger and ultra-fine "set" trigger to fire?

I wonder - what calibres do they come in? (Or if one is willing to pay enough, is there any calibre it DOESN'T come in?)

Pathdoc, they were in a nice assortment of calibers, but sadly the TCR '83 and '87 haven't been manufactured in a long time. Still available on the used market at what I consider ridiculous prices. That set pictured above just made me drool all over the keyboard. GW

The TC has always been a fine piece of equipment, but they're a little out of my price range, at least for now. That's why I'm considering the Rossi. I know it isn't a TC and that Rossi is part of Taurus now, so is it worth considering? The few NEA Handi Rifles I've shot were decent, but, so far as I know, they don't offer multiple interchangeable calibers.

Have you considered buying just a TC receiver for now and buy the barrels you want later? I got lucky and found a Encore receiver for 300 bucks (normally 500+ around here) and now I just need to decide on barrels.

I looked into the Rossi W (a.k.a. Wizard) awhile back and found a lot of reports of poor accuracy and quality so I decided against it.

IMO the best combination of value and performance in a single shot rifle is the H&R/NEF Handi-Rifle. You can send them your receiver and they will fit new barrels to it if you so desire, but for the ~$250 that they cost new, I'd rather just buy the whole rifle. You can usually find them on sale at places like Academy for $199.

I really want one in .30-30 so I can load spitzer-style bullets for a .30-30 :cool:

Last edited:
I would definetly go with a T/C. You could allways slip a spare frame in latter and viola, you have a second gun!

This is just a follow up about the Handi-rifle for anyone who may be considering one:

While the .500 s&w magnum is a wicked cartridge, it's a little too wicked to be chambered for a Handi-rifle IMO. They don't hold up well when shot a lot. Recoil is a bear too.

Also rimless cartridges can be problematic in the handi rifle when it comes to ejecting the spent case. The rimmed cartridges like .30-30 are better suited to the Handi-Rifle IMO. But of course YMMV ;)

Back