Single Shot for Backpacking

EXPLORER

Does anyone make a 12-gauge, single shot, external hammer, take down, synthetic stock shotgun? It sure would be great for backpacking.

If anyone does, NEF will. One of their models fits your specs except for the synthetic stock.

Another choice, Savage's excellent Model 24, a 22 LR/20 ga combo.

Explorer, I think NEF does! Here's their web site http://www.newenglandfirearms.com

It's a pretty lame site giving only their snail mail and contact numbers. Hope they'll soon improve this to show their products and accessories on-line!

Request a catalog!

Regards! DaMan

PS- DaveMcC, I think they even offer synthetic stock models now!

[This message has been edited by DaMan (edited September 05, 2000).]

Yes, NEF makes a single shot 12 Gauge, and you can buy one for around $75-80 at Walmart or Kmart. Kicks pretty hard, though.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by StephenT:
Yes, NEF makes a single shot 12 Gauge, and you can buy one for around $75-80 at Walmart or Kmart. Kicks pretty hard, though. [/quote]

Yep on all counts. The price is right and they are pretty well made.

Let's kick this up a notch,as one of the more offensive cooks on TV says...

First, while a 12 has unmatched versatility, we're looking for a more specialized weapon here,and maybe one with easily portable ammo.
Two boxes of 12 ga ammo would weigh as much as that SS.

The use environment has to be considered. Is there be any threat from large carnivores where you'll be hiking? Bears,pumas,gators, venomous reptiles. velociraptors(G)?

Or,much danger from two legged predators?
And, is there Rabies present in the area? Rabid animals lose their fear of people.

Let's posit an ammo stash of 2 or 3 rds of buck for the predators, maybe 2 slugs, and say,10 rds of shot, half 7 1/2 and half 4s. Call that about 3 lbs. Add a light 12,16, or 20 ga, say 6 lbs, total weight 9 lbs. Let's posit a fixed Modified choke as a compromise, and an experienced shooter who knows the capabilities of the shotgun. At this point, we have a package capable of collecting most North American Game quite handily, defending one's life, and still packable.

Downsides....

If needed quickly, broken down in the pack may be as useless is if it t'were still back home.

One shot w/o reloading. Usually plenty. I suggest a shotgun with an ejector, vs just an extractor.

Now, being the tinkerers we are,and this an inexpensive project, let's really kick this up...

Let's start off with a quality SS, any of the old H&Rs, Winchester 37s, or the NEF stuff will suffice. First, on goes a GOOD recoil pad, on a stock that fits us well. Second, since this will be lighter than the Rule of 96 calls for, let's have the forcing cone done to avoid a little kick, and maybe even have the bbl set up for tubes. Two will cover all we need,IC and Mod, and if we want a turkey gun also, a X full is in store.As with any shotgun, patterning is a must.

Now, to overcome the muzzle light swing, we hog out some wood from the area under the pad, and maybe stash some cord, waterproof matches or tiny cigarette lighter, tinder(a candle stub works) and maybe the smallest Mag Lite wrapped up so it doesn't shift during fire.
Or, maybe a miniature bottle of JD Black, depending on what your idea of survival gear is(G).
I've seen concept shotguns like this with the butts skeletonized, the stock screw visible, and the balance moved too far forward, so remember that more is not always good.

Add some sling swivel studs,and a butt cuff for those who like them.

Now you're set, you haven't spent more than $200 at the very highest, and you've got a good packpacking, survival, or burying in a PVC pipe cuz you don't trust the Gummint shotgun. Fairtomiddlin turkey gun too.

Just got my NEF catalog.......finally! They offer a bunch of options that would interest the backpacker/shooter/hunter!

Get the catalog!

Regards! DaMan

Here's another idea - What about a Thompson\Center Contender in 45Colt\410. I am not sure what he wants the 12 ga for, but unless he needs that power of the 12 gauge, go with the light weight of the Contender. plus you could take the choke off the barrel and shoot a 45 Colt(long Colt)round. Just my .02.

I've some experience with the Contender, but not that combo bbl. Most folks find handguns harder to shoot well than shotguns or rifles.
OTOH, one who can shoot it reasonably well may need nothing else under typical conditions.

semo, I have a Contender carbine. It is very light and handy. But even with the .410 barrel, it would still be a few ounces more than my NEF standard Pardner with a 22" modified choke "youth" barrel.

I don't think I'd take my Contender as a "camping/hiking" gun, because it is just too pretty (and expensive)for this type of rough use. If I scratched that pretty walnut stock, it would make me cry!

Regards! DaMan

Dave McC, I like the way you think!

Explorer, I'm not sure exactly what you want the shotgun for but you may want to consider a Springfield Armory M6 Scout. It is a small, takedown combo gun i either .22LR/.410 or 22 Hornet/.410, offered in either parkerized or stainless. I have one in .22LR/.410 and I love it. The 22 barrel is very accurate and the .410 is pretty effective at reasonable ranges. The trigger takes some getting used to but is workable. The gun breaks in half for easy storage and stores extra ammo in the stock. The entire gun is made out of either stamped or milled steel. (including the stock) The gun weighs about 6lbs.
I've been hunting groundhogs all summer with a Ruger 22 Hornet and have fallen in love with this round. I have found it to be accurate enough for head shots out to 200 yds and it hits like a ton of bricks with frangible bullets. The Hornet is extremely versitile, especially if you handload. I will definitely be getting another M6 with the Hornet barrel.
If you want something bigger than a .410 NEF should be able to hook you up. I've seen some neat little custom guns made from NEFs.

Coinneach, when CaveDaMan no have 700 Nitro Express with, shoot velociraptor in temple 3" 12 ga. slug with! Stick sharpened telephone pole velociraptor butt up. Roast big camp fire over.... like Giros! Tastes chicken like! Ugh and regards! CaveDaMan

PS - There are still many areas in North America where the .410 is less than adequate for many tasks. And this is true even in some areas where they don't have velociraptors! ;-)

[This message has been edited by DaMan (edited September 08, 2000).]

Thanks, guys, one/two thoughts here....

First, on that tweaked Ss I posited, let's make that a slip on recoil pad. Easier to get the stuff out in case you have to leave your Leatherman in a Kodiak bear or sumpin'.

Two,never been fond of the 410 at all.
Savage made or may still make a combo, most often in 22LR/20 ga, sometimes in 22Mag/20 and sometimes in 410. There's a pack gun with versatility,and 100 rds of 22LR packs nice and light. The 20 is for stuff 22s won't handle.

I gotta admit I did one of these as a project close to 20 years ago. It was a superb truck and camper gun.

Dave McC, Savage has discontinued the .22/20 ga. "Camper's Companion". The one I have is a .22LR over a 20 with 3" cyl. barrel. The trigger, out of the box, sucked but could be improved by a good gunsmith. The .22LR barrel was "nuts-on" accurate!

The Achile's heel of the 24-C was the cylinder bore! Why not an improved cyl. or modifed? It had everything else going for it! Would it be so hard for the arms manufacturers to bring out a .22LR over a choke tube version of this gun? Or better yet, a choked 12 ga. with a .22LR barrel in a compact package?!!

Regards! DaMan

[This message has been edited by DaMan (edited September 09, 2000).]

Damfino, Da Man. IMO, a combo like that fills a definite niche. BTW, my old Model 24 was Modified choke,and shot Brennekes darn near POI/POA with my 22LR ammo of choice. Did have a peep sight on it and the trigger was not bad at all. BTW, the shotgun bbl seeemd to stiffen up the 22 bbl, groups were quite nice.

Dave McC, I think if Savage would bring out a 24-C synthetic that would accept choke tubes, that "son-of-a-gun" would sell like hotcakes! The 24-F comes close, but a 20" barrel would be better than the 24" bbl. for a backpack gun.

I also use the 20ga. Brennekes.

Regards! DaMan

Since Explorer's original post asked about the 12ga. for a camper, I'd suggest the NEF Turkey Black Matte with 3 1/2" chamber and screw-in choke. It comes with a "turkey full" choke only, but the NEF choke tubes are compatible with the Winchoke tubes. Add improved cylinder and modified Winchoke tubes and you're ready for anything!

Regards! DaMan

DaMan, the idea of shooting off a 3 1/2" load in a gun that light is not my favorite thing. Other than that, an excellent choice.

A decade and more ago,I walked into a gun shop jsut to see what they had. One shotgun there on consignment was a single bbl 10 ga, with short bbl,probably barely legal, camo paint job,sling, and butt cuff. It looked like a grenade launcher more than a shotgun.

I asked about it, and was told that it had been fired, once...

Back