Single Shot crack barrel.

Why a single shot.....I was just down at the LGS picking up some pellets and they has this nice .303 Enfield for $140......

Nice?

Depending on your point of view, that might include the H&R Handi-Rifles (if you can get one before they all go out of production). But, I wouldn't classify the current line as "nice." They're poorly fitted, poorly finished, and have a high rate of returns for repairs.

Otherwise..... Rossis are even worse. Rugers are too expensive. TCs are rarely even close to your price range. And anything else that comes to mind is $1,600+.

...But if you can track down a CVA Hunter, Scout, or Stalker, it may interest you.

Not to be argumentative, but I wouldn't say that the quality is that bad. They did go to a crappy finish on the frame metal. As an economy rifle there has been an occaisional boo-boo slip out the door. If a person is remotely good with his hands and uses info from the FAQ in the NEF section of the graybeard site there is virtually no problem that can't be handled at home. I have 5 of them in .223, 7mm Mauser, .22 Hornet, .444, and .445SM, all extremely accurate as in less than 1" groups. Biggest problem is that Remington is dropping the line according to my best info, not enough profit I suppose. Don't be scared to buy one if that's what you want. The only one I have that had a problem was the .444, bought second hand and someone had "Bubba'ed" the hinge, which was an easy fix with a .003" shim. GW

i'd have to go with frankenmauser. rugers and tc are out of your price range. the handi-rifle is probably what you need.

Not to be argumentative, but I wouldn't say that the quality is that bad. They did go to a crappy finish on the frame metal. As an economy rifle there has been an occaisional boo-boo slip out the door. If a person is remotely good with his hands and uses info from the FAQ in the NEF section of the graybeard site there is virtually no problem that can't be handled at home.
You shouldn't have to repair, adjust, or tweak a brand new rifle. :rolleyes:

Junk

I have to agree with Frankenmauser on this one. Ohio just had it's first rifle
deer season, limited cals. A lot of the H&R, CVA, and Rossie single shots were
bought new and used. These were 45/70s. I had guys bringing them in with
all kind of problems. There is no quality at all in them. This is also true with
the shotguns. If I still had a shop I would not sell them because of return rate.
Like a poster said, your money would be better spent on a military rifle or
used bolt action.

For the price of a sub par single shot break open rifle you can pick yourself up a pretty decent bolt action or the like. Just my 2 cents.

When they first came out I was interested so I went to look at a couple. They all seemed extremely heavy for what they were and I lost interest fast. A used sportered military rifle is usually a better deal.

Over a year ago I picked up a lightly used TC Encore with 30-06 barrel for $500 and those are in the $700+ area new. I think for $400 you are in the used area, and also curious why a nice bolt action wouldn't work.

I bought one of these last month. It was chambered for .35 Remington, it had a fantastic trigger, included dead nutz scope monts and a hammer spur extension. $215 on a one day at Buds.

I reamed the chamber to .358 so I would have access to a supply of brass. I am getting decent hunting accuracy 200 grs cast bullets at a hundred yards. Every week, i tweak the loads, bullet, alloys and lubes and seem to be shrinking the groups down.

In the process of reaming the chamber, the CVA has brighter steel that is easier to work with than the Handi.

They are available at Buds in .44 Mag, 35 Rem and 35 Whelan. To get what you get on this rifle ($215) would cost you over $400 on a handi. In the $300 plus range, you can buy the CVA Scout which has a few more refinements like stainless fluted barrels and more ergonomically located barrel releases.

Don't buy one in .35 Rem unless you have ready access to ammo and brass. It is not available at retail.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...cts_id/716008446/CVA+HUNTER+35REM+CMPT+BLUBLK

Here is mine:

First outing targets

If I can find .307 or .356 brass/ammo, I will cut out the room for a rim and be able to shoot .356 Rimmed or .358 Rimless.

"Crack Barrel"

I know what you mean, but I've never heard that particular phrase used for anything other than a damaged gun.
:D

The budget break actions are a dice roll. Sometimes you win, sometimes not. Some of them will shoot very well, but the very next one can live down to the "you get what you pay for" rule, or worse.

Haunt the shops and shows, look on the used racks. You might get lucky. Or the local ad papers, if you have that kind of thing (Penny Press, Giant Nickel, etc) for a private sale.

If you can afford the higher cost, the TC Contender / Encore break actions have a wide range of barrels and calibers available.

Don't buy one in .35 Rem unless you have ready access to ammo and brass. It is not available at retail.
.35 Remington ammunition is available. It just isn't common, and is only produced seasonally (like .358 Win, .30-40 Krag, .307 Win, etc.).

The stores around me don't stock much other than the most popular cartridges, yet the Dick's and Sportsman's Warehouse here both have .35 Remington on their shelves. And two of the Mom & Pop gun shops also have it in stock.

A quick search shows that Cabela's has Hornady .35 Rem in stock online, as well.

Back