Single Action Pin Match

dreadnaught

I have been invited to shoot a Single action pin match. This is a new one on me. Wondering what loads I should use. I shoot 5 1/2" Vaqueros in 44 Mag. Would the very hot CCI Blazer 180 Gold Dot(44spl) be good? The price is decent and readliy available. How about my cowboy loaded 44 special 245gr LSWC at 750fps? Do I really need a Magnum load?

Instead of a .44 Special, I'd try a mid-velocity .44 Magnum load: a 240gr at 900-1000fps. Remington offers it, but I'm not certain of the other companies. You'll get enough power for rough tables and/or lumpy pins.

Whatever case you use:
250 (more or less) grain bullets, either full or semi wadcutter. You want a sharp edge to "grap" the pin and fling it good when hit. Moderate velocities should do. 800 to 1100 fps will do nicely. As the lower the velocity, the better the recovery, I'd start lower.

Make sure your gun is sighted in for the ammo at the distance in question. Hold for the biggest middle of the pin.

Supply a report, will you?

I like bowling pin practice with my single action revolvers. I feel if I can hit a bowling pin, I can surely hit the larger SASS targets. I use my Vaquero Bisleys in .357, 5 1/2" barrels. I shoot a low load .38 special with a 125 grain. About 650 fps. No problem dropping the pins.

Back