Single action grip style

Branko

I shoot my 1858 onehanded. I was wondering, what grip style do you prefer for precision when shooting onehanded? I've experimented and experiment with various grip styles for one handed shooting but I'd love to hear thoughts from more experienced single action handgunners.

The "normal" SA grip with fingers on the bottom part of the handle feels the most instinctive and "right" in my hand and the gun rolls up nicely under recoil. Downside is that it's harder to get it consistent every time, and it does tend to land shots a bit higher then the other grip styles.

The "as high as I can manage" grip makes my finger sit at an awkward angle on the trigger, although it's easier to get consistent hits vertically (throws them a bit more to the left side though). It feels a bit awkward, but if I'm careful pulling the trigger it will hit where it's supposed to.

The "pinky under the handle" grip places my trigger finger just nicely and is easier to get consistent and provides more stability, but it also feels a bit strange to my hand and I find cocking the hammer with the shooting hand is just uncomfortable with this grip. If I had a bit larger hands it would be perhaps the best, but that's not something I can change.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Howdy

I always shoot any single action revolver with my pinky curled under the grip.

Trying to cram my entire hand onto the grip places my middle finger directly against the trigger guard. Then if the round fired has any sizable recoil, the trigger guard whacks the knuckle of my middle finger. It only took a few times of doing this with a 45 Colt to realize that if I curled my pinky under the grip, it would shift my entire hand down a bit on the grip. This opened up a gap of about 1/4" between my knuckle and the trigger guard. Have not had a knuckle whacked in years, even when firing full house Black Powder loads.

The only revolver I find this to be a bit troublesome with is the 1860 Army Colt C&B. The grip on that revolver is about 1/4" longer than a standard plowhandle grip. Sometimes I try to cram my entire hand onto the 1860 grip. But there is not much recoil with the 1860 Army.

+1 Hawg. I personally got tired of the concussion of the trigger guard banging against my 2nd finger plus enhance the grip by adding a S&W Model 3 Russian type finger curl to the bottom of the guard to rest my 2nd finger in.

Attachments

• RemieSpur2.jpg
    RemieSpur2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 44
^^^^
Now, that's neat.
My grip varies with the shooting.
Two handed, one handed, fast, slow and deliberate, all are different.

For one handed precision, the method I saw Bruce Piatt use seems really good.
Well, obviously considering the source.
Gun hand arm, elbow and wrist straight, a cheek weld with the inside of the raised shoulder and a grip that allows a straight back pull of the trigger.
If there's time to do it, it is really effective.

Last edited:
Back