Singing the praises of dry-lube!

Pond James Pond

I recently bought a can of Hoppe's Dri-Lube as an impulse buy.

I then quizzed TFL on what my purchase was actually good for and since then, I have degreased the whole trigger mechanism and doused the firing pin assembly and every moving part south of the slide rail in the stuff.

So the only bits that have wet lube are the rail and the barrel exterior.

So what have I noticed about dri-lube so far?

Firstly, the whole trigger pull is lighter and smoother. Much smoother.
Secondly, the internals are all much cleaner. The breech face (? The bit the with hole for the firing pin) was spotless and the extractor was also clean.

So all-in-all, I am very pleased. However, I am far from a firearms pioneer and I don't read about it being used that often, so this makes me think there is a "but" lurking in there somewhere.

What have been your experiences?

What have been your experiences?
Most people don't use dry lubes because they can't see it, so they assume it's not there

The vast majority stick with the typical "wet" oils, and tend to use too much

They don't know what they are missing

Try a TINY dab of Lithium grease on your slide rails and you may find it works better than most higher viscosity oils

I have used spray-on dry lubes for years. They work well on bolt lugs, bolt ways, just about any part of a firearm that slides or rotates, except they are not for inside the barrel. Inside the barrel, they ball up and get hard, and it is darn tough to get them out.

Back